Modern English Cancels Balance of Tour After Guitarist Emergency Surgery
Modern English have been force to cancel the final fifteen dates of their North American tour after guitarist Gary McDowell underwent emergency surgery.
The band recently played four shows during SXSW along with a show in Los Angles last Thursday night (March 23); however, McDowell was hospitalized the following day and will remain there until it is deemed safe for him to fly back to England to recuperate.
The band released the following statement:
All of us, Gary especially, are very sorry to have to announce the sudden cancellation of our “Take Me To The Trees” U.S. and Canadian dates. This is due to a serious illness and urgent surgery required for our guitarist Gary. Obviously we are very upset and disappointed to have to come to this decision, but without Gary we can’t play any concerts. After recovering from surgery, Gary will be flown home to England for further treatment.
The following shows have been cancelled; however, the band hopes to reschedule them for some time in the future when McDowell has mended:
- 03/27 - Portland, OR - Star Theatre
- 03/28 - Seattle, WA - Neumos
- 03/30 - Salt Lake City, UT - Urban Lounge
- 03/31 - Denver, CO - Larimer Lounge
- 04/02 - Kansas City, MO - Record Bar
- 04/03 - St. Louis, MO - Off Broadway
- 04/05 - St. Paul, MN - Turf Club
- 04/06 - Chicago, IL - Empty Bottle
- 04/07 - Ferndale, MI - The Loving Touch
- 04/08 - Pittsburgh, PA - Rex Theatre
- 04/10 - Washington, DC - Rock N Roll Hotel
- 04/11 - Philadelphia, PA - Johnny Brenda's
- 04/13 - Boston, MA - Brighton Music Hall
- 04/14 - Brooklyn, NY - Rough Trade
- 04/16 - Toronto, ON - Adelaide Hall
The band released their first album in thirty years with their original lineup, Take Me to the Trees, last year and were promoting it with shows across the continent.