by VVN Music
While a bunch of veteran artists rocked the stage on the west coast at Desert Trip, the country music industry rocked their own show with the official induction of Fred Foster, Charlie Daniels and Alan Jackson into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
The annual ceremony followed a similar pattern to past years with performances of music associated with each inductee along with tributes presented by a close friend or associate of each new member.
For Fred Foster, it was music with which he was associated as one of the longest tenured producers working in Nashville. His work has run from the very earliest hits of Roy Orbison through Willie Nelson's latest, For the Good Times: A Tribute to Ray Price.
Charlie Daniels' career took a different path than the other inductees. Starting in the mid-60's, he worked in Nashville as a songwriter, session player and producer. It wasn't until his first hit, Uneasy Rider (1973 / #9 Pop / #67 Country), that he came into the national spotlight but more on rock radio than country. It wasn't until 1979's The Devil Went Down to Georgia that he finally made it on the country charts and, as his fortunes on the Billboard Hot 100 started to fall, he began having more hits at country radio.
The induction of Randy Travis comes three years after his suffering a tragic stroke from which he continues to recover. Randy did take the stage on Sunday night with the assistance of his wife and, as part of his acceptance, sang a verse from Amazing Grace. Travis had 29 top ten country singles, including sixteen number 1's.
The running order:
- Induction of Fred Foster
- Remarks by Dolly Parton
- Blue Bayou - Brandy Clark
- Me and Bobby McGee - Kris Kristofferson and Charlie McCoy
- Induction by Vince Gill
- Acceptance by Fred Foster
- Induction of Charlie Daniels
- It Hurts Me - Trisha Yearwood
- Long Haired Country Boy - Jamey Johnson
- The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Trace Adkins & Andrea Zonn
- Induction by Brenda Lee
- Acceptance by Charlie Daniels
- Induction of Randy Travis
- On the Other Hand - Alan Jackson
- Forever and Ever Amen - Brad Paisley
- Three Wooden Crosses - Garth Brooks
- Induction by Garth Brooks
- Acceptance by Randy and Mary Travis
- Will the Circle Be Unbroken - Oak Ridge Boys