by VVN Music
Michael Jackson's estate certainly pulled in the money last year.
The late singer tops the Forbes Highest-Paid Dead Celebrities List again but this year with the amazing amount of $825 million. That is 3.3 times the total of the next twelve people on the list combined.
This is, actually, a one time thing for Jackson. $750 million of that was for the sale of his share of Sony/ATV Publishing catalog, which includes the music of John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Jackson paid $47.5 million for it back in 1985, an amount that most said was over inflated at the time, but it paid off in the end.
That would leave Jackson with "only" $75 million in income from other sources, still enough to put him at the top of the list. The late comic Charles Schulz (Peanuts) is second with $48 million and the recently deceased Arnold Palmer in third with $40 million.
Two others who died this year, both musicians, also make the list. Prince is fifth with $25 million and David Bowie is eleventh with $10.5 million.
- Michael Jackson ($825 million)
- Charles Schulz ($48 million)
- Arnold Palmer ($40 million)
- Elvis Presley ($27 million)
- Prince ($25 million)
- Bob Marley ($21 million)
- Theodor "Dr. Seuss" Geisel ($20 million)
- John Lennon ($12 million)
- Albert Einstein ($11.5 million)
- Bettie Page ($11 million)
- David Bowie ($10.5 million)
- Steve McQueen ($9 million)
- Elizabeth Taylor ($8 million)