by VVN Music
The Broadcast Film Critics and the Broadcast Television Journalists Association, the two organizations who hold the yearly Critics' Choice Awards, have announced the nominees for their new Critics' Choice Documentary Awards.
Two veteran artists have been selected to receive the Most Compelling Living Subject of a Documentary Award. Iggy Pop was chosen for the documentary Gimme Danger while Sharon Jones will receive it for Miss Sharon Jones!.
In the category of Best Direction of a Documentary Feature, Ron Howard is up for The Beatles: Eight Days a Week; however, the film failed to receive a nomination as Best Documentary Feature.
Jessica Edwards was nominated for Best First Feature (TV/Streaming) for the HBO presentation Mavis! on singer Mavis Staples.
Two series about or including a substantial amount of music are up for Best Limited Documentary Series. CNN's The Eighties included music and stories on a number of artists from the decade. PBS' Soundbreaking: Stories From the Cutting Edge of Recorded Music was produced by George Martin and included sections with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Joni Mitchell, Roger Waters, Roger Daltrey, Linda Perry, Barry Gibb, Elton John, Debbie Harry, Quincy Jones, B.B. King, Annie Lennox, Dave Stewart, Mark Knopfler, Tom Petty, Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, Lindsey Buckingham, Rosanne Cash, Don Was, Steven Van Zandt, Sheila E, Questlove, Ben Harper, Billy Idol, Beck, Imogen Heap, Darryl McDaniels, RZA, Bon Iver, Nile Rodgers, Nigel Godrich, Q-tip, Brian Eno, Mark Ronson, Rick Rubin, Tony Visconti and more.
Nominated for Best Music Documentary are:
- The Beatles: Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years
- Gimme Danger
- Miss Sharon Jones!
- The Music of Strangers
- Presenting Princess Shaw
- We Are X
- Angel by the Wings from The Eagle Huntress – Written by Sia – Performed by Sia
- “The Empty Chair” from Jim: The James Foley Story – Written by Sting and J. Ralph – Performed by Sting
- “Flicker” from Audrie & Daisy – Written by Tori Amos – Performed by Tori Amos
- “Hoping and Healing” from Gleason – Written by Mike McCready – Performed by Mike McCready
- “I’m Still Here” from Miss Sharon Jones! – Written by Sharon Jones – Performed by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings (Cabin Creek Films/Starz Digital Media)
- “Letters to the Free” from 13th – Written by Common, Karriem Riggins and Robert Glasper – Performed by Common featuring Bilal (Netflix/Kandoo Films)