by VVN Music
In just four short years as a professional musician, Duane Allman left an indelible legacy that not only included his work with the Allman Brothers Band but also guest sessions with numerous other artists.
His first recorded performances his original band, Hour Glass, including their 1967 debut but, two years later, he was in demand playing on tracks for Boz Scaggs, Wilson Pickett, Arthur Conley, Otis Rush, Lulu, Aretha Franklin, Delaney and Bonnie and many others. His most famous work outside of the Allman Brothers was, undoubtedly, his playing with Eric Clapton on the Derek & the Dominoes album Layla.
The burgeoning career, which could have been one of the greatest of all time, was cut short on October 19, 1971 when Duane was killed in a motorcycle accident.
In 1972, a two disc collection of some of Allman's greatest work was released. An Anthology was unique in that only one side of the four in the set contained music from Allman's band. The other three sides had a superb collection of some of Allman's greatest guest appearance along with one track from Hourglass.
On October 28, Mercury/UMe will release a new vinyl version of the long out-of-print album on standard 120-gram vinyl. The release coincides with the October 29 anniversary of his death and comes about a month before he would have turned 70, on November 20.
There will also be a limited run edition on 180-gram vinyl complete with a reproduction of the 20-page booklet that accompanied the LP's original release. A special bundle will pair the album together with a vintage feel t-shirt of the LP cover.
The track list:
- Side A
- B.B. King Medley – Hour Glass
- Sweet Little Angel
- It's My Own Fault
- How Blue Can You Get?
- Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett
- The Road Of Love - Clarence Carter
- Goin' Down Slow - Duane Allman
- Side B
- The Weight - Aretha Franklin
- Games People Play - King Curtis
- Shake For Me - John Hammond
- Loan Me A Dime - Boz Skaggs
- Rollin' Stone - Johnny Jenkins
- Side C
- Livin' On The Open Road – Delaney & Bonnie & Friends
- Down Along The Cove - Johnny Jenkins
- Please Be With Me - Cowboy
- Mean Old World - Eric Clapton and Duane Allman
- Layla - Derek & The Dominos
- Side D
- Statesboro Blues - The Allman Brothers Band
- Don't Keep Me Wondering - The Allman Brothers Band
- Stand Back - The Allman Brothers Band
- Dreams - The Allman Brothers Band
- Little Martha - The Allman Brothers Band