by Paul Cashmere, Noise11
And so it ends … AC/DC has hobbled past the post of the Rock Or Bust tour with a substitute singer and a foundation member saying farewell.
The Rock Or Bust world tour ended with its final show in Philadelphia. It was a lackluster finale. Axl Rose held court instead of Brian Johnston, Cliff Williams hung up his bass after the last song and Angus sent a non-committal thank you to fans who are still unsure if the very last time the hells bells will toll were this night with Axl.
“It’s certainly been one big adventure with its highs and its lows,” Angus Young said in a Facebook video. He doesn’t say what the “lows” were but in the thank you video it is obvious that the one person who doesn’t get a thank you is the now dear departed Brian Johnson.
Earlier today Cliff Williams, the AC/DC bass player since 1977, also officially confirmed he has now left the band.
“It’s time for me to step out, that’s all. … I’m ready to get off the road and do what I do in between tours. I know how to do that, I know what I’m gonna do. It’s just my time, I’m happy I just need family time, just chill out and not do this,” Cliff said in his parting words.
So is this it? Who knows? Let’s hope AC/DC did not end on a stage in Philly with Axl Rose as its frontman.
AC/DC setlist, Philadelphia, September 20, 2016:
- Rock Or Bust (from Rock Or Bust, 2015)
- Shoot To Thrill (from Back In Black, 1980)
- Hell Ain’t A Bad Place To Be (from Let There Be Rock, 1977)
- Back In Black (from Back In Black, 1980)
- Got Some Rock & Roll Thunder (from Rock Or Bust, 2015)
- Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (from Dirty Deeds Done Dirty Cheap, 1976)
- Rock and Roll Damnation (from Powerage, 1978)
- Thunderstuck (from The Razors Edge, 1990)
- High Voltage (from High Voltage, 1976)
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Train (from Black Ice, 2008)
- Hells Bells (from Back In Black, 1980)
- Given The Dog A Bone (from Back In Black, 1980)
- If You Want Love (You’ve Got It) (from Highway To Hell, 1979)
- Live Wire (from TNT, 1975)
- Sin City (from Powerage, 1978)
- You Shook Me All Night Long (from Back In Black, 1980)
- Shot Down In Flames (from Highway To Hell, 1979)
- Have A Drink On Me (from Back In Black, 1980)
- T.N.T. (from High Voltage, 1976)
- Whole Lotta Rosie (from Let There Be Rock, 1977)
- Let There Be Rock (from Let There Be Rock, 1977)
- Highway To Hell (from Highway To Hell, 1979)
- Riff Raff (from Powerage, 1978)
- Problem Child (from Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, 1976)
- For Those About To Rock (from For Those About To Rock, 1981)