Thursday, September 15, 2016

Rick Parfitt Fears His Days With Status Quo are Over

by VVN Music

When Rick Parfitt announced yesterday that he was pulling out of the rest of the Status Quo dates for the year or longer, he didn't go into details on his possible future but, in a new interview with Sky News, he said his days with the band may be over.

Parfitt suffered a major heart attach earlier this year, one that left him clinically dead for three-and-a-half minutes and in a coma for several days. It was his third heart attack, even though he had previously had quadruple bypass surgery.

In the Sky News interview, he admits that the medical emergency has left him with a loss of stamina and memory plus a fear of future performances.

"I'm just aware of the nervousness I get before I go on stage. It does pump your heart slightly when you start to pace up and down the room, and you're about to go in front of thousands of people. Obviously it's going to have some effect on you.

"I do not want to tax myself in any way. I've been told medically not to. So whether it's a full gig or a cameo I'd still get fairly nervous and I do not want to get out on stage and drop dead in front of the fans. I do not want to do that."
Even thought the remaining dates of this year's tour were to be Status Quo's last as a rock band, there were still plans for Parfitt and long-time musical partner Francis Rossi to continue playing acoustic shows, something they have been building for with their album Aquostic and the upcoming Aquostic II. That, now, may not even be possible.

Rick was reflective about his situation. "I've got to apologize to the fans really because it's my fault. You live the rock and roll lifestyle and at some stage you've got to pay for it. And I'm now paying for it. So it's my fault that I'm not with the band now."