by VVN Music
There have been a number of compilations of Roy Orbison's music over the years, but none quite as all inclusive as the new The Ultimate Collection, out on October 28 via Roy's Boys LLC and Legacy Recordings.
The new release includes 26-tracks that, for the first time, includes music from his time at Sun, Monument, MGM and Virgin along with his time as part of the Traveling Wilburys on Wilbury Records.
Roy's son, Alex Orbison, painstakingly selected songs that were most representational of his father's vast catalog, which totals 27 studio albums, four live albums, and over 60 singles, 22 of which placed in the U.S. Billboard Top 40 chart. Narrowing it down was no easy task. "It is a great honor for me and my brothers, Wesley and Roy Jr., to finally and definitively distill our father's entire career onto a single disc as best one can possibly do and, certainly, as never done before," said Alex. "It is the result of years of research, archiving and listening, and it is with supreme and heartfelt pleasure that we will be able to share it with the world."
The majority of Orbison's best known songs are here including all of his top twenty hits except for the holiday classic Pretty Paper. Others that have gone on to some popularity that are omitted include I'm Hurtin', The Crowd and Working For the Man.
The track list with chart performance and other notations:
- Oh, Pretty Woman (1964 / #1)
- I Drove All Night (1992 / DNC)
- You Got It (1989 / #9)
- Crying (1961 / #2)
- Only The Lonely (1960 / #2)
- In Dreams (1963 / #7)
- Love Hurts (b-side of Running Scarred)
- Claudette (Orbison's first songwriting success, on his MGM debut album, There is Only One Roy Orbison, 1965)
- Blue Bayou (1963 / #29)
- Dream Baby (1962 / #4)
- Walk On (1968 / DNC)
- Falling (1963 / #22)
- Running Scared (1961 / #1)
- California Blue (1989 / DNC)
- Leah (b-side Working For the Man)
- Mean Woman Blues (b-side Blue Bayou)
- Crawling Back (1965 / #46)
- Ride Away (1965 / #25)
- Too Soon To Know (1966 / #68)
- She's A Mystery to Me (1989 / DNC)
- Blue Angel (1960 / #9)
- It's Over (1964 / #9)
- Ooby Dooby (1956 / #59)
- Heartbreak Radio (1992 / DNC)
- Not Alone Anymore (Traveling Wilburys)
- Handle With Care (Traveling Wilburys)