by VVN Music
The Television Academy gave out their first batch of Emmy Awards on Saturday night at the Creative Arts Emmys.
Game of Thrones led the nominations with 23 and, so far, is leading the winners list with seven, so far. The People vs. O.J. Simpson took home four.
In the world of music Danny Elfman won for Music Direction for the special Danny Elfman's Music From the Films of Tim Burton and Diane Warren and Lady Gaga took the Original Music and Lyrics award for the song Til It Happens to You from The Hunting Ground. The pair were also nominated for an Oscar for the same song but did not win.
Other wins for composition went to the shows Marvel's Jessica Jones, The Night Manager and Mr. Robot.
American Idol was presented with the Governor's Award recognizing the programs "outstanding achievement in the arts and sciences or management of television". Previous series to win the award include Masterpiece Theatre, Comic Relief, America: A Tribute to Heroes and Planet Earth. American Idol had previously been given the award in 2007 for their special American Idol Gives Back.
A second night of Creative Arts Emmys will occur on Sunday for reality, variety, short form and animation.
Music category and music program winners:
- Original Main Title Theme Music - Sean Callery - Marvel's Jessica Jones
- Music Direction - Danny Elfman - Danny Elfman's Music From the Films of Tim Burton
- Music Composition for a Limited Series, Movie or Special (Original Dramatic Score) - Victor Reys - The Night Manager
- Music Composition for a Series - Mac Quale - Mr. Robot
- Original Music and Lyrics - Til It Happens to You by Diane Warren and Lady Gaga from The Hunting Ground
- Governor's Award - American Idol