by Paul Cashmere, Noise11
Ronnie James Dio was back in his old band at the Wacken Festival in Germany on the weekend.
The Dio band, as Dio Disciples, and played together for the first time since 2008 with Ronnie with thanks to technology from hologram entertainment company Eyelusion.
Eyelusion spent 12 months developing the Dio hologram for the German festival all with full approval from Ronnie’s widow Wendy Dio. “When I first experienced the full production of Ronnie performing with his band as a hologram, I couldn’t believe my eyes and ears,” said Wendy Dio, who manages Dio Disciples and is also a member of the Eyellusion team, supporting industry relations. “With Eyellusion, we have been able to get Ronnie back up on stage where he belongs, ensuring that his music and memory live on. I want Ronnie’s fans around the world to share this experience.”
“Eyellusion is creating the best hologram content and live music productions for a completely new concert experience,” said Jeff Pezzuti, CEO of Eyellusion. “We’re taking every step to capture the excitement and energy that comes from seeing your favorite band perform live. That means when the lights go down in the venue, the amps are loud, the band sounds great and the pyro is blinding. We are creating an entirely new way for fans to experience their favorite music.”
Wendy says that the hologram technology is not just for the dead. “The economics of making music are changing, with tours being more important than ever,” she said. “For artists who have been blessed with legions of fans around the world, the question is how to continue meeting the demand for your music. At the same time, newer acts are thinking about how to build a following and reach more people. Today, all artists need to find new, modern ways to connect with fans and Eyellusion is supporting those efforts.”
Dio Disciples features Ronnie James Dio’s band mates and Friends comprised of singers Tim “Ripper” Owens (Judas Priest), Joe Retta (Heaven & Earth), and Oni Logan (Lynch Mob), guitarist Craig Goldy (Dio), bassist Bjorn Englen (Yngwie Malmsteen), keyboardist Scott Warren (Dio, Heaven & Hell) and drummer Simon Wright (Dio, AC/DC, UFO).
The set list:
- Kill The King (from Rainbow's Long Live Rock and Roll, 1978)
- Holy Diver (from Holy Diver, 1983)
- I (from Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer, 1984)
- The Last In Line (from The Last In Line, 1984)
- Egypt (The Chains Are On) (from The Last In Line, 1984)
- Stargazer (from Rainbow's Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow, 1975)
- Turn Up The Light (from Black Sabbath's Mob Rules, 1981)
- Long Live Rock N Roll (from Rainbow's Long Live Rock and Roll, 1978)
- Man On The Silver Mountain (from Rainbow's Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow, 1975)
- Heaven and Hell (from Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell, 1980)
- Rainbow In The Dark (from Holy Diver, 1983)