by VVN Music
There are things in this world that just do NOT need a remake. Gone With the Wind, I Love Lucy, anything done by Led Zeppelin (sorry Train) and the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
For all intents and purposes, Rocky Horror is not a very good motion picture, but it's over-the-top camp and decades long fandom has kept it one of the most loved films ever so why do we really need it remade?
Of course, Hollywood has been hot on remakes for years and, with only a few exceptions, they never live up to the original. As a matter of fact, the only form of entertainment that has successfully pulled off remakes is Broadway where classics are revived on a regular basis so that new audiences can be exposed to an experience that is not available in any archived form. NBC joined that a few years ago with the live presentation of a theatrical version of The Sound of Music followed by Peter Pan and The Wiz.
But that's not what we are talking about here. Fox has decided that the campy Rocky Horror needed to be updated and they may have fallen flat this time around. Fresh off the success of Grease Live!, they have once again gone after another pop icon but, from the sound of the first song released from the soundtrack, it doesn't even come close to living up to the original.
The Time Warp is now classic music, a favorite of the movie's fans, 70's nostalgia and high school show choirs across the country and they all try to recreate the original sound. The Fox version does the same but, instead, comes off sounding like a professional recording from a local karaoke bar.
...and don't even get us started on the new intro.
Kudos, though, for bringing Tim Curry back, this time as the narrator. The jury remains out on the rest of the cast which includes former teen star Victoria Justice as Janet, Ryan McCartan, a Disney channel star, as Brad, relative newcomer Staz Nair as Rocky Horror, Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox as Dr. Frank-n-Furter, Christina Milian as Magenta, Adam Lambert as Eddie and Ben Vereen as Dr. Everett von Scott.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do The Time Warp Again will air on October 20 on Fox. The original soundtrack album is out the next day.
The track list:
- Science Fiction/Double Feature - Usherette (Ivy Levan)
- Dammit Janet - Brad and Janet (Ryan McCartan, Victoria Justice)
- Over At the Frankenstein Place - Brad, Janet and Riff-Raff (Ryan McCartan, Victoria Justice, Reeve Carney)
- Time Warp - Riff-Raff, Magenta, Columbia, Narrator/Criminologist (Reeve Carney, Christina Milian, Annaleigh Ashford, Tim Curry)
- Sweet Transvestite - Frank-N-Furter and Brad (Laverne Cox, Ryan McCartan)
- The Sword Of Damocles - Rocky (Staz Nair)
- I Can Make You A Man - Frank-N-Furter (Laverne Cox)
- Hot Patootie - Eddie (Adam Lambert)
- I Can Make You A Man (Reprise) - Frank-N-Furter (Laverne Cox)
- Touch A Touch A Touch A Touch Me - Janet (Victoria Justice)
- Once In Awhile - Brad (Ryan McCartan) (bonus track)
- Eddie - Dr. Scott (Ben Vereen)
- Planet Schmanet Janet - Frank-N-Furter (Laverne Cox)
- Planet Hot Dog - Frank-N-Furter (Laverne Cox)
- Rose Tint My World - Columbia, Rocky, Brad, Janet (Annaleigh Ashford, Staz Nair, Ryan McCartan, Victoria Justice)
- Don't Dream It - Frank N Furter (Laverne Cox)
- Wild And Untamed Thing - Frank N Furter (Laverne Cox)
- I'm Going Home - Frank N Furter (Laverne Cox)
- Super Heroes - Brad, Janet, Narrator/Criminologist (Ryan McCartan, Victoria Justice, Tim Curry)
- Science Fiction/Double Feature (Reprise) - Eddie, Usherette (Adam Lambert, Ivy Levan)