by VVN Music
Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam) will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the singer's first hit, I Love My Dog.
Stevens' career didn't really take off in the U.S. until 1971 but, back in 1966, his I Love My Dog went to number 21 in the Netherlands and 28 in the U.K. to give him his first major international exposure. The song only made it to 118 on Billboard's Bubbling Under chart. He followed in Britain with Matthew and Son (1967 / #2 U.K.), I'm Gonna Get Me a Gun (1967 / #6 U.K.), A Bad Night (1967 / #20 U.K.) and Lady D'arbanville (1970 / #8 U.K.) before finally breaking in the U.S. with Wild World (1971 / #11).
To celebrate his five decades of hits, Stevens/Islam will play twelve dates in September and early October on what he is calling A Cat's Attic Tour which will include "stripped down introspective performances".
Along with shows in cities like Toronto, Philadelphia, Boston, Nashville and Los Angeles, Stevens will play three shows in New York, the first time that he has played that city in forty years.
Members of Yusuf/Cat Stevens' Red Room will be able to buy tickets start August 11 at 10 AM. General ticket sales start on Monday, August 15 at 10 AM local time.
At least $6 of each ticket sold will go to Small Kindness, Stevens' UK based charity who will pass the monies along to Unicef and the International Rescue Committee to help children in refugee and migrant crisis.
- 9/12 – Toronto, ON – Sony Centre for the Performing Arts
- 9/15 – Philadelphia, PA – Verizon Hall at Kimmel Center
- 9/17 – Boston, MA – Wang Theatre at Citi Performing Arts Center
- 9/19 – New York, NY – Beacon Theatre
- 9/20 – New York, NY – Beacon Theatre
- 9/22 – Washington, DC – Kennedy Center
- 9/24 – New York, NY – Global Citizen Festival
- 9/27 – Nashville, TN – Ryman Auditorium
- 9/30 – Chicago, IL – Oriental Theatre
- 10/3 – San Francisco, CA – Davies Symphony Hall
- 10/6 – Los Angeles, CA – Pantages Theatre
- 10/7 – Los Angeles, CA – Pantages Theatre