- 1925 - Felice Bryant (d. 2003)
- 1935 - Rahsaan Roland Kirk (d. 1977)
- 1936 - Charles Pope (Tams) (d. 2013)
- 1942 - B.J. Thomas (74)
- 1942 - Garrison Keillor (74)
- 1943 - Lana Cantrell (73)
- 1945 - Kerry Chater (Gary Puckett & the Union Gap) (71)
- 1949 - Carlo Novi (Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes) (70)
- 1950 - Rodney Crowell (69)
- 1952 - Andy Fraser (Free) (d. 2015)
- 1952 - Richard Joswick (Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods) (64)
- 1958 - Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) (58)
- 1959 - Michael Peterson (57)
- 1960 - Jackie O'Sullivan (Bananarama) (56)
- 1962 - Alison Brown (54)
- 1964 - Ian Dench (EMF) (52)
- 1965 - Raul Malo (Mavericks) (51)
- 1966 - Kristen Hirsch (Throwing Muses) (50)
- 1977 - Jamey Jasta (Hatebreed) (39)
- 1971 - Homer Haynes (Homer & Jethro) - Heart attack (51)
- 1984 - Esther Phillips - Liver & kidney failure due to drug use (48)
- 2001 - Larry Adler (harmonica player with Sting, Elton John) (87)
- 2001 - Billy Byrd (credited as first electric guitar player in country music) - Natural causes (81)
- 2009 - Mike Seeger - Cancer (75)
- 2011 - Marshall Grant (Johnny Cash's Tennessee Two) (83)
On This Day
- 1948 - Hank Williams made his debut on the Louisiana Hayride.
- 1963 - The film Beach Party with Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello and Dick Dale & the Del Tones premiers.
- 1965 - Mike Smith of the Dave Clark Five is pulled off of a Chicago stage by rabid fans, breaking ribs.
- 1970 - Over 200,000 people attended the Goose Lake International Music Festival in Leoni, MI to see acts like Bob Seger, Jethro Tull, Chicago, Mountain, 10 Years After, John Sebastian, Iggy & the Stooges, MC5, Brownsville Station, James Gang, Rod Stewart and the Flying Burrito Brothers.
- 1970 - Christine McVie joined Fleetwood Mac.
- 1979 - X-Ray Spex break up after Poly Styrene tries to take the group in a folk direction.
- 1982 - Sting sued Virgin Publishing saying that he has an unfair deal with the company over his early works.
- 1985 - Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall become the parents of James Leroy Jagger.
- 1987 - 24 years after the release of Beach Part, Back to the Beach opens in the U.S.
- 1997 - An estimated one-million people attended a Garth Brooks concert in Central Park, New York, the largest crowd in history.
- 1999 - 55 people are arrested for rioting outside of a Dave Matthews Band concert in Hartford, CT.
- 2000 - The family of Jimi Hendrix won in court, gaining ownership of www.jimihendrix.com.
- 2002 - Noel Gallagher, Andy Bell and Jay Darlington of Oasis were injured in a car accident in Indianapolis, IN, receiving cuts and bruises.
- 2003 - The Osmonds received their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 2007 - Lily Allen's U.S. work visa was canceled after she arrived in Los Angles over an alleged assault in London.
- 2007 - It was announced that Vince Gill, Mel Tillis and Ralph Emery had been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- 2012 - Randy Travis was arrested when he was found naked, lying in the middle of a road and smelling of alcohol.
- 1954 - Johnny Cash and Vivian Liberto
- 1966 - Xavier Cugat and Charo
- 1974 - Peter Wolf (J Geils Band) and Faye Dunaway
- 1995 - LL Cool J and Simone Johnson
- 2008 - Jewel and Ty Murray
- 2010 - Robbie Williams and Ayda Field
- 1971 - Just Another Band From L.A. - Frank Zappa
- 1962 - Sentimentally Yours - Patsy Cline (final studio album)
- 1965 - It Ain't Me Babe - Turtles (single)
- 1989 - The Cinderella Theory - George Clinton
- 1955 - Ed Sullivan Show - Bill Haley & the Comets
- 1997 - Garth Brooks Live in Central Park (HBO) - Billy Joel, Don McLean
Number Ones – U.S. Singles
- 1954 - Sh-Boom - Crew Cuts (7 weeks)
- 1965 - I'm Henry VIII, I Am - Herman's Hermits (1 week)
- 1971 - How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Bee Gees (4 weeks)
- 1976 - Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John & Kiki Dee (4 weeks)
- 2004 - Slow Motion - Juvenile Featuring Soulja Slim (2 weeks)
Number Ones – U.S. Albums
- 1982 - Mirage - Fleetwood Mac (5 weeks)
- 1993 - Black Sunday - Cypress Hill (2 weeks)
- 2004 - Autobiography - Ashlee Simpson (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. R&B Singles
- 1965 - In the Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett (1 week)
- 1971 - Hot Pants (Part 1) - James Brown (1 week)
- 1976 - Getaway - Earth, Wind & Fire (2 weeks)
- 1993 - Check You Self - Ice Cube Featuring Das EFX (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. Country Singles
- 1961 - I Fall to Pieces - Patsy Cline (2 weeks)
- 1965 - The First Thing Ev'ry Morning (and the Last Thing Ev'ry Night) - Jimmy Dean (2 weeks)
- 1976 - Golden Ring - George Jones & Tammy Wynette (1 week)
- 1982 - Honky Tonkin' - Hank Williams, Jr. (1 week)
- 2004 - Somebody - Reba McEntire (1 week)
- 2010 - Undo It - Carrie Underwood (1 week)
Number Ones – U.K. Singles
- 1982 - Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners (4 weeks)
Number Ones – U.K. Albums
- 1971 - Hot Hits 6 - Various Artists (1 week)
- 1982 - The Kids From “Fame” - Kids From Fame (8 weeks)