- 1919 - Georgia Gibbs (d. 2006)
- 1933 - Mark Dinning (d. 1986)
- 1939 - Luther Allison (d. 1997)
- 1943 - Dave "Snaker" Ray (Koerner, Ray & Glover) (d. 2002)
- 1944 - John Seiter (Spanky & Our Gang) (72)
- 1947 - Gary Talley (Box Tops) (69)
- 1948 - Rod MacDonald (68)
- 1949 - Sib Hashian (Boston) (67)
- 1953 - Kevin Rowland (Dexy's Midnight Runners) (63)
- 1954 - Eric Johnson (62)
- 1954 - Ron Strykert (Men at Work) (62)
- 1955 - Colin Moulding (XTC) (61)
- 1958 - Belinda Carlisle (Go-Go's) (58)
- 1962 - Gilby Clarke (Guns N' Roses) (54)
- 1964 - Colin James (52)
- 1964 - Maria McKee (Lone Justice) (52)
- 1965 - Steve Gorman (Black Crowes, Stereophonics) (51)
- 1966 - Jill Cunniff (Luscious Jackson) (50)
- 1967 - Kevin Max (dc Talk) (49)
- 1969 - Donnie Wahlberg (New Kids on the Block) (47)
- 1969 - Kelvin Mercer (De La Soul) (47)
- 1977 - Claire Richards (Steps) (39)
- 1977 - Mike Lewis (Lostprophets) (39)
- 1973 - Paul Williams (Temptations) - Suicide (34)
- 1987 - Gary Chester (studio drummer) - Cancer (62)
- 1990 - Pearl Bailey - Coronary artery disease (72)
- 1952 - Hank Williams was arrested for public drunkenness.
- 1960 - The Beatles began their first series of shows in Hamburg, Germany at the Indra Club.
- 1964 - The council in Glasgow, Scotland announced that any person with a "Beatles cut" would have to wear a bathing cap in municipal pools because their hair was clogging the filters.
- 1969 - The final day of the Woodstock Festival featured the Grease Band, Joe Cocker, Country Joe and the Fish, Ten Years After, the Band, Blood Sweat & Tears, Johnny Winter featuring Edgar Winter, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Sha-Na-Na and Jimi Hendrix.
- 1970 - Christine McVie joined Fleetwood Mac.
- 1974 - Rick Wakeman was replaced by Patrick Moraz in Yes.
- 1977 - The Police played for the first time live without original guitarist Henri Padovani.
- 1984 - On the first night of the Breaking Hearts tour, Elton John announced he was retiring from touring.
- 1986 - Rick Allen of Def Leppard performed his first concert since losing his arm in a car accident.
- 1986 - A riot between two rival gangs occurs at a Run-D.M.C. concert in Long Beach, CA. 42 people were beaten or stabbed.
- 1991 - Nirvana shot the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit in Culver City, CA.
- 1995 - Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode was taken to a Los Angeles hospital after an attempted suicide.
- 1995 - On the last night of the Lollapalooza tour, guards remove Courtney Love from the stage after she yelled at Hole fans for not cheering loud enough.
- 1998 - Carlos Santana received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 1998 - Eddie Serrano of Cannibal and the Headhunters was injured when his bike was hit by an automobile.
- 1999 - Derek Longmuir, former member of the Bay City Rollers, went to court on child pornography and drug charges.
- 2006 - The Smashing Pumpkins went into the studio for their first new album in six years.
- 2006 - The last country station in Los Angeles, KZLA-FM, switched to an urban music format.
- 2007 - Uncle Kracker was charged with second-degree forcible sex after a woman alleged he had attacked her in a Raleigh, NC bar.
- 2008 - Jackson Browne sued presidential candidate John McCain for his unauthorized use of Running on Empty.
- 2008 - Linda Ronstadt received the Trailblazer Award at the ALMA Awards.
- 2009 - A warrant was issued in Massachusetts for Bobby Brown after he failed to show up in court on $45,000 in child support.
- 2012 - Three members of Pussy Riot were sentenced to two years in a Russian prison.
- 2012 - Florida Georgia Line made their Grand Ole Opry debut.
- 1990 - Jan Howard and Dr. Maurice Acree, Jr.
- 1997 - James Hetfield (Metallica) and Frencesca Tomasi
- 2008 - Phil Collins and Orianne Cevey
- 1958 - Charlie Rich's first recording session for Sun Records.
- 1977 - I'm Already Taken - Steve Wariner (first recording session)
- 1955 - I Forgot to Remember to Forget/Mystery Train - Elvis Presley (single)
- 1964 - You Really Got Me - Kinks (single)
- 1968 - Hush - Deep Purple (single)
- 1974 - Can't Get Enough - Bad Company (single)
- 1983 - Delirious - Prince (single)
- 2007 - High School Musical 2 (set a cable record of 17.2 million viewers)
Number Ones – U.S. Singles
- 1968 - People Got to Be Free - Rascals (5 weeks)
- 1974 - The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace (1 week)
- 2002 - Dilemma - Nelly Featuring Kelly Rowland (7 weeks)
- 1946 - King Cole Trio, Volume 2 - Nat King Cole Trio (2 weeks)
- 1963 - Days of Wine and Roses - Andy Williams (1 week)
- 1974 - 461 Ocean Boulevard - Eric Clapton (4 weeks)
- 1996 - Beats, Rhymes and Life - A Tribe Called Quest (1 week)
- 2002 - The Rising - Bruce Springsteen (2 weeks)
Number Ones – U.S. R&B Singles
- 1991 - Can You Stop the Rain - Peabo Bryson (2 weeks)
- 1996 - Twisted - Keith Sweat (2 weeks)
Number Ones – U.S. Country Singles
- 1968 - Heaven Says Hello - Sonny James (1 week)
- 1974 - As Soon As I Hang Up the Phone - Loretta Lynn & Conway Twitty (1 week)
- 1985 - Highwayman - Highwaymen (1 week)
- 1991 - You Know Me Better Than That - George Strait (3 weeks)
Number Ones – U.K. Singles
- 1968 - Fire - Crazy World of Arthur Brown (1 week)
- 1974 - When Will I See You Again - Three Degrees (2 weeks)
- 1968 - Bookends - Simon & Garfunkel (5 weeks)
- 1985 - Now That's What I Call Music 5 - Various Artists (5 weeks)
- 2003 - American Tune - Eva Cassidy (2 weeks)
- 2008 - The Script - Script (2 weeks)