by VVN Music
When Prince died in April, his 1980's band, The Revolution, said they would be reuniting for a tribute concert.
Those shows have now been scheduled as the band will be playing First Avenue, the Minneapolis club made famous in the movie Purple Rain, on September 2 and 3. Tickets for the shows are $65 ($99 for a VIP pass) and will go on sale this Friday at 11 AM through etix.
The band released a press release saying "With profound loss and apocalyptic grief, we, along with the world, mourned Prince upon the news of his passing. After seeing the response outside of First Avenue and around the rest of the world’s monuments, we … have decided to pay tribute to Prince at home in the city of Minneapolis."
Playing at the show will be:
- Wendy Melvoin (rhythm guitar) - Played with The Revolution from 1983 to 1986.
- Lisa Coleman (keyboards) - Played with The Revolution from 1980 to 1986. Wendy and Lisa went on to record six albums and EPs together along with becoming indemand composers for movies and TV.
- Brown Mark (bass guitar) - Played with The Revolution from 1982 to 1986. He later recorded as a solo artist and in Mazarati.
- Bobby Z (drums, percussion) - Played with the Revolution from 1979 to 1986. After, he produced for Boy George and Wendy & Lisa along with recording his own album.
- Matt Fink (keyboards) - Played with The Revolution from 1979 to 1986. After the breakup of The Revolution, he continued to play with Prince through the early version of The New Power Generation. From the early-90's on, he worked in his own studio, writing music for video games and a 2001 album, Ultrasound.
- Dez Dickerson (lead guitar) - Played with Prince prior to the Revolution from 1979 to 1983. He went on to form the group The Moderaires, who appeared in Purple Rain, and, later, started his own record company.
- Andre Cymone (bass guitar) - Played with Prince prior to the Revolution from 1979 to 1981. He had a number 10 R&B hit with The Dance Electric and co-wrote and produced Jody Watley's Looking For a Love. He also worked with Pebbles, Jermaine Stewart and Adam Ant.