by VVN Music
It's an Americana dream. Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin and Buddy Miller have announced that they have set eleven dates in October for a tour to benefit the Jesuit Refugee Center/USA.
Titled "Lampedusa: Concerts For Refugees", named after the Italian island near which a boat transporting refugees from Libya sunk, killing more that 360 people.
Harris recently visited the Jesuit Refugee Service in Ethiopia, saying "I know that there are still terrible conditions and a lot has to be done. But there is so much hope there. There is so much promise. It really affected me in a very positive way. The ability to actually see it firsthand was an extraordinary gift, I think, for me. I think if I’ve got one thing I’m going to take back, I believe that education is the key to everything. These minds need to be challenged and developed. … We have to give them the tools to develop their hearts, their minds, their souls, to use the abilities that they have that are still untapped. It’s just a huge potential."
There is also promises of "more specials guests" for the tour. The poster for the October 9 date at the Rococo Theatre in Lincoln, NE also includes Steve Earle though it has not been confirmed if he will appear at other stops on the tour.
The tour opens on October 6 in Boulder, CO and runs through October 21 in Washington, DC.
- 10/06 – Boulder, CO – Boulder Theater
- 10/08 – Kansas City, MO – Kauffman Center For The Performing Arts - Helzberg Hall
- 10/09 – Lincoln, NE – Rococo Theatre
- 10/11 – St. Louis, MO – Sheldon Concert Hall
- 10/12 – Milwaukee, WI – Pabst Theater
- 10/13 – Chicago, IL – Vic Theatre
- 10/14 – Toronto, ON – Massey Hall
- 10/16 – Boston, MA – Berklee Performance Center
- 10/18 – New York, NY – Town Hall
- 10/19 – Philadelphia, PA – Merriam Theater
- 10/21 – Washington, DC – Lisner Auditorium