by VVN Music
It was 21 years between David Crosby's solo album Thousand Roads (1993) and his last release, Croz (2014). During those years he was too busy with Crosby, Still and Nash, the band CPR and legal troubles.
All of that seems to be behind him now as he has had time to write and record a brand new solo set just two years after Croz. Lighthouse will be released on October 21 via GroundUP Music/Verve Label Group.
For the new release, Crosby brought in Michael League of the band Snarky Puppy to help write half of the album, executive produce and play bass. The set takes a very sparse path with most tracks only including Crosby's guitar and voice and League's bass playing. The album was recorded at Jackson Browne's studio, Grove Masters in Santa Monica, CA.
Crosby is looking forward to the release, saying "To create brand new music that I’m excited about is a pearl beyond price."
He also says that, even after all these years, he's finding new sounds in his guitar. "I put a guitar in a strange tuning and I see what I find. It gives you different inversions of the chords and it gives you different sounds. I have many tunings. It helps me find things that are fresh and that are mine rather than just repeating stuff that other people have done."
Leauge added "Among folk rock songwriters, David is a real outlier. He brought an element of color and exploration and risk to the writing process in his lyrics, in the guitar parts, in the vocal harmonies. He isn’t afraid to put notes in the chords you normally wouldn’t hear."
The track list for the album:
- Things We Do For Love
- The Us Below
- Drive Out To The Desert
- Look In Their Eyes
- Somebody Other Than You
- The City
- Paint You A Picture
- What Makes It So
- By The Light Of Common Day
- 08/18 - South Orange, NJ - South Orange Performing Arts Center
- 08/20 - Poughkeepsie, NY - Bardavon Opera House
- 08/21 - Bethlehem, PA - Musikfest Café
- 08/23 - Alexandria, VA - The Birchmere
- 08/24 - State College, PA - The State Theatre
- 08/26 - Greensburg, PA - Palace Theatre
- 08/28 - Evansville, IN - Victory Theatre
- 08/29 - Kansas City, MO - Uptown Theater
- 08/31 - Chicago, IL - Thalia Hall
- 09/02 - Kitchener, ON - Centre In the Square, Main Hall
- 09/04 - Toronto, ON - Danforth Music Hall
- 09/06 - Thunder Bay, ON - Community Auditorium
- 09/08 - Winnipeg, MB - Burton Cumming Theatre
- 09/09 - Regina, SK - Casino Regina Show Lounge
- 09/11 - Calgary, AB - Jack Singer Concert Hall
- 09/12 - Edmonton, AB - Winspear Centre For Music
- 09/14 - Kelowna, BC - KelownaTheatre
- 09/15 - Vancouver, BC - Vogue Theatre