- 1924 - Mary Ford (d. 1977)
- 1927 - Doc Severinsen (89)
- 1927 - Charlie Louvin (d. 2011)
- 1930 - Doyle Wilburn (Wilburn Brothers) (d. 1982)
- 1932 - Joe Zawinul (Weather Report) (d. 2007)
- 1933 - J.J. Barrie (83)
- 1940 - Ringo Starr (76)
- 1940 - Joe Salvato (Duprees) (76)
- 1941 - James Rodford (Argent) (75)
- 1941 - Chan Romero (75)
- 1944 - Warren Entner (Grass Roots) (72)
- 1947 - David Hodo (Village People) (69)
- 1947 - Rob Townsend (Family) (69)
- 1948 - Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt (Iron Butterfly) (d. 2012)
- 1951 - Blondie Chaplin (Beach Boys) (65)
- 1962 - Mark White (Spin Doctors) (54)
- 1962 - Clive "Doctor" Jackson (Doctor & the Medics) (54)
- 1962 - Shawn Paddock (Red Rockers) (54)
- 1963 - Vonda Shepard (53)
- 1963 - Perry Richardson (Firehouse) (53)
- 1967 - Jackie Neal (d. 2005)
- 1980 - Dan Whitesides (Used) (36)
- 1981 - Synyster Gates (Avenged Sevenfold) (35)
- 1982 - Mike Glita (Senses Fail) (34)
- 1982 - Cassidy (born Barry Reese) (34)
- 1984 - D. Woods (Danity Kane) (32)
- 1988 - Ilan Rubin (Lostprophets) (28)
- 1988 - Kaci Brown (28)
- 1975 - George Morgan - Heart attack (51)
- 1993 - Mia Zapata (Gits) - Strangled (27)
- 2001 - Fred Neil - Natural causes (65)
- 2006 - Syd Barrett (Pink Floyd) - Pancreatic cancer (60)
On This Day
- 1950 - Johnny Cash signed up for the air force.
- 1954 - Memphis DJ Dewey Phillips became the first person to air an Elvis Presley record (That's Alright Mama).
- 1956 - Johnny Cash debuted at the Grand Ole Opry.
- 1963 - The Rolling Stones made their debut on British TV on Thank Your Lucky Stars.
- 1967 - The Monkees kicked off a U.S. tour. Their opening act was Jimi Hendrix.
- 1968 - The Yardbirds played their final show in Luton, U.K.
- 1980 - Led Zeppelin played their final show in West Berlin, Germany.
- 1989 - CD sales exceeded vinyl for the first time.
- 1999 - Coolio is sentenced to ten days in jail, 40 hours of community service and two years probation for a conviction of illegal gun possession.
- 2000 - Bobby Brown was released from jail ten-days early for good behavior after 27-days of being incarcerated. He was in for a parole violation from a drunk driving incident.
- 2000 - Kim Mathers, the wife of Eminem, slit her wrists after her husbands Detroit concert.
- 2001 - Janet Jackson kicked off her All For You World Tour in Portland, OR.
- 2003 - John Mayer and Counting Crows opened a co-headlining summer tour.
- 2003 - Godsmack cancelled their European tour because of contractual deadlines.
- 2005 - Members of the Hollies asked that former bandmate Eric Haydock be jailed when he continued performing under the name Eric Haydock's Hollies after a court order barred him from using the group's name.
- 2007 - Ozzy Osbourne became the first person enshrined on Birmingham, England's new Walk of Fame.
- 2007 - Tom Simpson of Snow Patrol was arrested after failing to appear in court.
- 2007 - The Live Earth concerts, organized by former Vice President Al Gore, were held in Washington, Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg, London, Hamburg, Tokyo, Shanghai and Sydney.
- 2009 - A memorial service was held for Michael Jackson at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
- 2010 - Ringo Starr played Radio City Music Hall in New York for his 70th Birthday. Paul McCartney surprised his former bandmate for the encore.
- 2013 - Randy Travis entered the hospital in critical condition with viral cardiomyopathy.
- 1977 - Dick Clark and Kari Wigton
- 1984 - Frankie Valli and Randy Clohessy
- 2000 - Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit (separated)
- 1961 - The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Tokens
- 1969 - Here Comes the Sun - Beatles
- 1956 - My Prayer - Platters (single)
- 1960 - Only the Lonely - Roy Orbison (single)
- 1972 - The Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff
- 1973 - Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney and Wings (single)
- 1973 - Barry Manilow - Barry Manilow
- 1974 - Elvis: As Recorded Live on Stage in Memphis - Elvis Presley
- 1977 - The Grand Illusion - Styx
- 1984 - Condition Critical - Quiet Riot
- 1986 - Eat Em and Smile - David Lee Roth (first solo album)
- 1987 - Frehley's Comet - Ace Frehley
- 1992 - Images and Words - Dream Theater
- 1998 - Stunt - Barenaked Ladies
- 2006 - SexyBack - Justin Timberlake (single)
- 1953 - The Eddy Arnold Show (NBC) - Premier of his second variety series
- 1958 - American Bandstand - Lou Monte, Chantels
- 1959 - American Bandstand - Tradewinds
- 1961 - American Bandstand - Mary Wells, Earls
- 1963 - Thank Your Lucky Stars (U.K.) - Rolling Stones (British TV debut)
- 1965 - Shindig - Aretha Franklin, Marianne Faithfull, Gauchos, Kinks, Sonny & Cher, Rick Lancelot, Donna Loren, Billy Preston, Bobby Sherman, Blossoms
- 1965 - Where the Action Is - Byrds, Jackie DeShannon, Steve Alaimo, Linda Scott, Paul Revere & the Radiers
- 1966 - Where the Action Is - Vogues, Kelly Garrett, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Keith Allison
- 1973 - American Bandstand - Action '73 Special - Vicki Lawrence, Foster Sylvers, Heywoods
- 1979 - American Bandstand - Sylvers
- 1984 - American Bandstand - Howard Jones, Dennis Edwards
Number Ones – U.S. Singles
- 1962 - The Stripper - David Rose (1 week)
- 1973 - Will It Go Round in Circles - Billy Preston (2 weeks)
- 1984 - When Doves Cry - Prince (5 weeks)
- 2001 - U Remind Me - Usher (4 weeks)
Number Ones – U.S. Albums
- 1979 - Bad Girls - Donna Summer (5 weeks (1 previous week at number 1))
- 1984 - Born in the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen (4 weeks)
- 1990 - Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em - M.C. Hammer (18 weeks)
- 2001 - Devil's Night - D12 (1 week)
- 2007 - Lost Highway - Bon Jovi (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. R&B Singles
- 1973 - Doing It To Death - Fred Wesley & the J.B.'s (2 weeks)
- 1990 - You Can't Deny It - Lisa Stansfield (1 week)
- 2001 - U Remind Me - Usher (4 weeks)
- 2007 - When I See U - Fantasia (8 weeks)
Number Ones – U.S. Country Single
- 1945 - Stars and Stripes on Iwo Jima - Bob Wills (1 week)
- 1973 - Why Me - Kris Kristofferson (1 week)
- 1984 - Somebody's Needin' Somebody - Conway Twitty (1 week)
- 2007 - Lucky Man - Montgomery Gentry (2 weeks)
Number Ones – U.K. Singles
- 1960 - Good Timin' - Jimmy Jones (3 weeks)
- 1966 - Sunny Afternoon - Kinks (2 weeks)
- 1991 - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You - Bryan Adams (16 weeks)
- 1996 - Killing Me Softly - Fugees (1 week)
Number Ones – U.K. Albums
- No albums reached number 1 in the U.K on July 7