Almanac: July 5, 2016
Number Ones – U.S. Albums
- 1913 - Smiley Lewis (d. 1966)
- 1928 - Mitch Jayne (Dillards) (d. 2010)
- 1939 - Snuff Garrett (producer) (d. 2015)
- 1941 - Terry Cashman (Cashman & West) (75)
- 1943 - Robbie Robertson (73)
- 1945 - Dick Scoppettone (Harper's Bizarre) (71)
- 1946 - Andy Ellison (John's Children) (70)
- 1948 - Cassie Gaines (Lynyrd Skynyrd) (d. 1977)
- 1950 - Huey Lewis (Huey Lewis & the News) (66)
- 1950 - Michael Monarch (Steppenwolf) (66)
- 1954 - Jimmy Crespo (Aerosmith) (62)
- 1959 - Marc Cohn (57)
- 1969 - RZA (born Robert Diggs) (Wu-Tang Clan) (47)
- 1969 - Aled Richards (Catatonia) (47)
- 1970 - Claus Noreen (Aqua) (46)
- 1970 - Mac Dre (born Andre Hicks) (d. 2004)
- 1972 - Joe (born Joseph Thomas) (44)
- 1973 - Bangt Lagerberg (Cardigans) (43)
- 1973 - Roisin Murphy (43)
- 1976 - Mike DeWolf (Taproot) (40)
- 1976 - Bizarre (born Rufus Johnson) (D12) (40)
- 1977 - Royce da 5'9" (born Ryan Montgomery) (39)
- 1979 - Shane Filan (Westlife) (37)
- 1980 - Jason Wade (Lifehouse) (36)
- 1982 - Dave Haywood (Lady Antebellum) (34)
- 1985 - Nick O'Malley (Arctic Monkeys) (31)
- 1986 - Adam Young (Owl City) (30)
- 1983 - Harry James - Lymphatic cancer (67)
- 1997 - Mrs. Miller (89)
- 2001 - Ernie K-Doe (65)
- 2005 - Shirley Goodman (Shirley & Lee) (69)
On This Day
- 1954 - Elvis Presley records for the first time with Scotty Moore and Bill Black at Sun Studios.
- 1958 - Ray Charles' performance at the Newport Jazz Festival is recorded for a live album.
- 1965 - President Johnson invited the Four Seasons to perform at the White House.
- 1966 - A young Jimi Hendrix met his future manager Chas Chandler in New York after Keith Richards suggested Chandler see him form. Chandler talked Hendrix into moving to England and signed him.
- 1968 - Bill Graham opened the Fillmore West in San Francisco.
- 1969 - Two days after the death of Brian Jones, the Rolling Stones play for 250,000 in London's Hyde Park along with King Crimson, Family and more. It was Mick Taylor's first appearance with the band.
- 1971 - A Led Zeppelin concert in Madrid, Spain was cut short when police fired tear gas into the crowd.
- 1978 - Manufacturing of the Rolling Stones' album Some Girls had to be halted after a number of celebrities, including Lucille Ball, objected to their pictures being used in fake ads on the cover.
- 1980 - Bauhaus played their farewell concert (for now).
- 1980 - John Conlee debuted at the Grand Ole Opry.
- 1989 - Rod Stewart was knocked out while performing.
- 1993 - Whitney Houston opened a 115-date world tour in Miami, FL.
- 1995 - Over 100 people were injured when a wooden deck at a campground lodge collapsed where Grateful Dead fans were staying during a series of local concerts.
- 1995 - The U.S. Justice Department made the decision not to go forward with antitrust action against Ticketmaster.
- 1999 - The Eurythmics announced their first tour in ten years. They made the announcement on the Greenpeace boat Rainbow Warrior and said that all profits would go to charity.
- 2002 - The family of Jimi Hendrix won an injunction against a New York company who was releasing recordings of the guitarist.
- 2003 - The body of Manic Street Preachers guitarist Richey Edwards was found, over eight years after he disappeared.
- 2003 - Johnny Cash did his last live performance at the Carter Ranch.
- 2009 - Mickey Gilley was left paralyzed when a piece of furniture he was moving fell on him, crushing four vertebrae. He eventually regained the ability to walk but no longer can play piano.
- 1957 - Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner
- 2007 - Marilyn Manson and Dita Von Teese
- 1954 - That's Alright Mama and Blue Moon of Kentucky - Elvis Presley
- 1964 - Gloria - Them Featuring Van Morrison
- 1964 - Liza Jane - David Jones (David Bowie) and the King Bees (single)
- 1965 - For Your Love - Yardbirds
- 1965 - Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!) - Beach Boys
- 1975 - Feel Like Making Love - Bad Company (single)
- 1980 - Freedom of Choice - Devo
- 1983 - Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies
- 1984 - Signs of Life - Billy Squire
- 1994 - Cracked Rear View - Hootie & the Blowfish
- 1960 - American Bandstand - Jack Weigand
- 1961 - American Bandstand - Slim Harpo
- 1962 - American Bandstand - Little Eva
- 1963 - American Bandstand - Dee Dee Sharp
- 1966 - Where the Action Is - Syndicate of Sound, Ray Stevens, Tina Mason, Keith Allison, Robbs
- 1969 - American Bandstand - Jerry Butler & the Impressions
- 1969 - Johnny Cash Show - Buffy Sainte-Marie, Cowsills
- 1974 - Midnight Special - Anne Murray (host), Golden Earring, Eddie Kendrick, Country Joe McDonald, Rufus, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Wet Willie
- 1975 - American Bandstand - Blackbyrds, Al Martino
- 1980 - American Bandstand - Stephanie Mills
- 1986 - American Bandstand - Jermaine Stewart
Number Ones – U.S. Singles
- 1941 – Maria Elena – Jimmy Dorsey (1 week)
- 1952 - Delcado - Percy Faith (1 week)
- 1986 - There'll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry) - Billy Ocean (1 week)
- 2008 - I Kissed a Girl - Katy Perry (7 weeks)
- 1986 - Control - Janet Jackson (2 weeks)
- 2003 - After the Storm - Monica (1 week)
- 2008 - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends - Coldplay (2 weeks)
Number Ones – U.S. R&B Singles
- 1975 - Slippery When Wet - Commodores (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. Country Singles
- 1969 - Statue of a Fool - Jack Greene (2 weeks)
- 1975 - Lizzie and the Rainman - Tanya Tucker (1 week)
- 1980 - He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones (1 week)
- 1986 - Everything That Glitters (Is Not Gold) - Dan Seals (1 week)
Number Ones – U.K. Singles
- 1969 - Something in the Air - Thunderclap Newman (3 weeks)
- 1998 - Because We Want To - Billie (1 week)
- 2009 - Evacuate the Dancefloor - Cascada (2 weeks)
Number Ones – U.K. Albums
- 1975 - Horizon - Carpenters (2 weeks)
- 1980 - Emotional Rescue - Rolling Stones (2 weeks)
- 1998 - 5ive - 5ive (1 week)
- 2009 - The Essential Michael Jackson - Michael Jackson (7 weeks)