- 1929 - Screamin' Jay Hawkins (d. 2000)
- 1935 - Johnny Funches (Dells) (d. 1998)
- 1938 - Ian Stewart (Rolling Stones) (d. 1985)
- 1939 - Dion DiMucci (77)
- 1939 - Brian Auger (77)
- 1941 - Martha Reeves (75)
- 1941 - Lonnie Mack (d. 2016)
- 1941 - Frank Farian (producer) (75)
- 1943 - Robin MacDonald (Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas) (73)
- 1945 - Danny McCulloch (Animals) (d. 2015)
- 1946 - Tim Lynch (Flamin' Groovies) (70)
- 1947 - Linda Gail Lewis (69)
- 1948 - Phil Harris (Ace) (68)
- 1949 - Wally Bryson (Raspberries) (67)
- 1950 - Cesar Zuiderwijk (Golden Earring) (66)
- 1950 - Richard Branson (Virgin Records) (66)
- 1950 - Glenn Hughes (Village People) (d. 2001)
- 1954 - Ricky Skaggs (62)
- 1955 - Terry Chambers (XTC) (61)
- 1957 - Keith Levene (Clash, Public Image Ltd.) (59)
- 1958 - Nigel Twist (Alarm) (58)
- 1962 - Jack Irons (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam) (54)
- 1970 - Gruff Rhys (Super Furry Animals) (46)
- 1975 - M.I.A. (born Mathangi Arulpragasam) (41)
- 1975 - Daron Malakian (System of a Down) (41)
- 1978 - Tony Fagenson (Eve 6) (38)
- 1979 - Jermaine Paul (37)
- 1982 - Ryan Cabrera (34)
- 1983 - Aaron Gillespie (Underoath) (33)
- 1966 - Bobby Fuller - Suicide or murder (23)
- 1988 - Nico - Bicycle accident (49)
On This Day
- 1951 - Johnny Cash met his future wife, Vivian Liberto, three weeks before being deployed by the Air Force. Liberto is the mother of Rosanne Cash.
- 1953 - Elvis Presley made his first recording at a Memphis recording service, singing My Happiness and That's When Your Heartaches Begin.
- 1960 - Elvis Presley took out a mortgage for Graceland.
- 1964 - Connie Smith made her debut at the Grand Ole Opry.
- 1967 - The Jimi Hendrix Experience were removed as the opening act for the Monkees, supposedly after complaints from the Daughters of the American Revolution. It's later exposed that it was a publicity stunt.
- 1970 - Pink Floyd and Deep Purple play a free show in Hyde Park, London.
- 1972 - Members of Sly and the Family Stone were arrested after police found over two-pounds of marijuana in their mobile home.
- 1972 - It takes the mayor of Boston to get Mick Jagger and Keith Richards out of jail for their show after being arrested for a fight with a photographer.
- 1973 - At Max's Kansas City in New York, the bill was Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band and Bob Marley & the Wailers who were on their first U.S. tour.
- 1973 - Jethro Tull sold out a three night run at the Los Angeles Forum in 1-1/2 hours.
- 1978 - Def Leppard made their live debut in Sheffield, England.
- 1980 - Willie Nelson's movie Honeysuckle Rose opens.
- 1986 - Columbia Records did not renew Johnny Cash's contract after 28 years with the label.
- 1988 - Ike Turner was sentenced to one year in jail for cocaine possession and transporting.
- 1989 - Jefferson Airplane reunites.
- 1994 - The Rolling Stones played a secret show for fans at a Toronto club.
- 1995 - Neil Young formed Vapor Records.
- 1998 - The Harry Chapin Tribute Concert is held to aid his charity.
- 2001 - Kiss introduced the Kiss Kasket.
- 2001 - Ol' Dirty Bastard of Wu-Tang Clan is sentenced to two- to four-years in prison for cocaine possession.
- 2002 - Mystikal and two others were arrested for the rape of a 40-year-old woman.
- 2006 - Pam Anderson announced she was engaged to Kid Rock.
- 2007 - Sting and Trudie Styler were ordered to pay their former chef in excess of $40,000 for sexual discrimination.
- 2007 - Paul Simon sued a clock manufacturer who he said did not have permission to use Bridge Over Troubled Waters for their wall clocks.
- 2008 - The final concert was held at Shea Stadium in New York with Billy Joel and special guests Paul McCartney, Roger Daltrey, Garth Brooks and Steven Tyler.
- 1976 - Tammy Wynette and Michael Tomlin
- 1992 - Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown
- 1994 - Delores O'Riordan (Cranberries) and Don Burton (manager of Duran Duran)
- 1968 - Helter Skelter - Beatles (one take lasted 27 minutes and 11 seconds)
- 1969 - Octopus's Garden - Beatles
- 1975 - Live - Bob Marley & the Wailers (recorded at London's Lyceum Theater)
- 1953 - You Can't Keep a Good Man Down - Dominos (single)
- 1960 - The Twist - Hank Ballard & the Midnighters (single)
- 1960 - It's Now or Never - Elvis Presley (single)
- 1966 - Fifth Dimension - Byrds
- 1968 - Anthem of the Sun - Grateful Dead
- 1980 - Closer - Joy Division
- 1980 - Full Moon - Charlie Daniels
- 1980 - Honeysuckle Rose - Willie Nelson
- 1986 - Raising Hell - Run-D.M.C.
- 1995 - Dreaming of You - Selena
- 1995 - Adios Amigos - Ramones
- 1995 - Miss Thang - Monica (debut)
- 2000 - Who is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Volume 1 - Jill Scott (debut)
- 2000 - Hard Rain Don't Last - Daryl Worley (debut)
- 2006 - Sinners Like Me - Eric Chruch (debut)
- 1961 - American Bandstand - Johnny Madera
- 1962 - American Bandstand - Johnny Crawford
- 1964 - American Bandstand - Terry Stafford, Bobby Freeman
- 1966 - Where the Action Is - Hondells, Wayne Fontana
- 1970 - American Bandstand - Tyrone Davis, Flaming Ember
- 1975 - Midnight Special - Helen Reddy (host), Mac Davis, Waylon Jennings, Steve Martin, Minnie Ripperton, Joe Simon, tribute to Cat Stevens
- 1980 - Midnight Special - Spinners (host), Stephanie Mills
- 2001 - Hysteria: The Def Leppard Story
Number Ones – U.S. Singles
- 1942 - Jingle Jangle Jingle – Kay Kyser (8 weeks)
- 1960 - I'm Sorry - Brenda Lee (3 weeks)
- 1964 - Rag Doll - Four Seasons (2 weeks)
Number Ones – U.S. Albums
- 1959 (Stereo Albums) - Film Encores - Mantovani (1 week)
- 1998 - Armageddon - Soundtrack (2 weeks)
- 2009 - Now That's What I Call Music 31 - Various Artists (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. R&B Singles
- 1953 - The Clock - Johnny Ace (5 weeks)
- 1960 - A Rockin' Good Way (To Mess Around and Fall in Love) - Brook Benton & Dinah Washington (1 week (3 previous weeks at number 1))
- 1981 - Double Dutch Bus - Frankie Smith (4 weeks)
- 1992 - The Best Things in Life Are Free - Luther Vandross and Janet Jackson (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. Country Singles
- 1964 - Dang Me - Roger Miler (6 weeks)
- 1981 - Feels So Right - Alabama (2 weeks)
- 1987 - I Know Where I'm Going - Judds (1 week)
- 1998 - I Can Still Feel You - Collin Raye (2 weeks)
Number Ones – U.K. Singles
- 1963 - Confessin' (That I Love You) - Frank Ifield (2 weeks)
- 2004 - Lola's Theme - Shapeshifters (1 week)
- 2010 - Airplanes - B.o.B. Featuring Hayley Williams (1 week)
Number Ones – U.K. Albums
- 1970 - Bridge Over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel (5 weeks (17 previous weeks at number 1))
- 1992 - U.F. Orb - The Orb (1 week)
- 2004 - Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters (1 week (1 previous week at number 1))
- 2010 - Recovery - Eminem (3 weeks (2 previous weeks at number 1))