Almanac: July 1, 2016
- 1899 - DeFord Bailey (first performer on the Grand Ole Opry) (d. 1982)
- 1915 - Willie Dixon (d. 1992)
- 1928 - Bobby Day (d. 1990)
- 1933 - Eddie Bond (d. 2013)
- 1935 - James Cotton (81)
- 1939 - Delaney Bramlett (d. 2008)
- 1942 - Andrea Crouch (74)
- 1943 - Jeff Wayne (73)
- 1945 - Debbie Harry (Blondie) (71)
- 1946 - June Montiero (Toys) (70)
- 1947 - Marc Benno (Asylum Choir) (69)
- 1948 - John Ford (Strawbs) (68)
- 1949 - John Farnham (67)
- 1951 - Fred Schneider (B-52's) (65)
- 1951 - Victor Willis (Village People) (65)
- 1952 - Dan Aykroyd (Blues Brothers) (64)
- 1953 - Ronnie Dunn (Brooks & Dunn) (63)
- 1954 - Keith Whitley (d. 1989)
- 1956 - Phil Solem (Rembrandts) (60)
- 1959 - Edem Ephraim (London Boys) (d. 1996)
- 1960 - Evelyn "Champagne" King (56)
- 1960 - Ted Key (Housemartins) (56)
- 1961 - Michelle Wright (55)
- 1963 - Roddy Buttum (Faith No More) (53)
- 1964 - Pol Burton (Transvision Vamp) (52)
- 1971 - Missy Elliott (45)
- 1971 - Adam MacDougall (Black Crowes) (45)
- 1975 - Sufjan Stevens (41)
- 1976 - Plies (born Algernod Washington) (40)
- 1990 - Young B. (26)
- 1981 - Rushton Moreve (Steppenwolf) - Motorcycle accident (32)
- 1987 - Snakefinger (born Philip Lithman) (Snakefinger, Residents) - Heart attack (38)
- 1995 - Wolfman Jack - Heart attack (57)
- 1999 - Guy Mitchell - Complications of cancer surgery (72)
- 1999 - Dennis Brown (reggae singer) - Collapsed lung (42)
- 2000 - Cub Koda (Brownsville Station) - Kidney disease (51)
- 2005 - Obie Benson (Four Tops) - Lung cancer (69)
- 2005 - Luther Vandross - Heart attack (54)
- 2006 - Robbie Watts (Cosmic Psychos) (47)
- 2006 - Irving Green (founder of Mercury Records) (90)
- 2008 - Mel Galley (Whitesnake, Trapeze) - Esophageal cancer (60)
On This Day:
- 1968 - John Lennon's first art exhibit (You Are Here) opens.
- 1969 - John Lennon and Yoko Ono, along with their family, were in a car accident in Scotland, requiring hospitalization.
- 1969 - Shelby Singleton bought Sun Records from Sam Phillps.
- 1970 - Jimi Hendrix recorded for the first time at Electric Ladyland Studios.
- 1972 - Alabama performed for the first time at Canyonland Park, AL.
- 1973 - The Broadway production of Jesus Christ Superstar closed after 720 performances.
- 1979 - The Doobie Brothers celebrate their 10th anniversary at the Friar's Club in Los Angeles.
- 1983 - Bon Jovi signed with Mercury Records.
- 1984 - Steven Tyler breaks his ankle jumping from the stage during an Aerosmith performance in Grayslake, IL. He finishes the show but does the next few from a wheelchair.
- 1986 - Prince's movie, Under the Cherry Tree, premiers.
- 1990 - Dire Straits made the decision to reform, record an album and do a world tour.
- 1998 - Martina McBride became the first contemporary country artist to join the Lilith Fair.
- 1999 - John Popper of Blues Traveler has angioplasty after suffering chest pains.
- 2000 - Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band ended their reunion tour with a ten-night run at Madison Square Garden.
- 2002 - Six postage stamps painted by Paul McCartney went on sale on the Isle of Man.
- 2004 - Glen Campbell entered jail for a 10-day stint for a November 2003 drunk driving and hit-and-run conviction. He also received 75 hours of community service, was fined $900 and given two years probation.
- 2007 - The Concert for Diana is held in London with Duran Duran, Elton John, Fergie, Joss Stone, Kanye West, Nelly Furtado, Lily Allen, Rod Stewart, Tom Jones and more.
- 1990 - Hank Williams Jr. and Mary Jane Thomas
- 1998 - Barbra Streisand and James Brolin
- 2011 - Jamie Hince (The Kills) and Kate Moss
- 2013 - Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger (Nickelback)
- 1975 - Ringo Starr and Maureen Cox
- 1963 - She Loves You and I'll Get You - Beatles
- 1969 - The Soft Parade - Doors
- 1970 - Cactus - Cactus
- 1973 - Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid - Bob Dylan
- 1978 - Hot Blooded - Foreigner
- 1980 - John Anderson - John Anderson (debut album)
- 1984 - Animalize - KISS
- 1986 - Music From the Edge of Heaven - Wham!
- 1987 - In the Dark - Grateful Dead
- 2003 - Chapter II - Ashanti
- 1955 - Grand Ole Opry (ABC) - Patsy Cline (national television debut)
- 1956 - Steve Allen Show - Elvis Presley (who is forced to sing Hound Dog to a Basset Hound)
- 1958 - American Bandstand - Lillian Briggs, Frankie Avalon
- 1959 - American Bandstand - Jimmy Clanton
- 1960 - American Bandstand - Billy Elder
- 1965 - Where the Action Is - Shangri-Las, Detergents, Steve Alaimo, Paul Revere & the Raiders
- 1966 - Where the Action Is - Del Shannon, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas
- 1967 - American Bandstand - Ventures, Tina Turner
- 1972 - American Bandstand - Michael Jackson
- 1978 - American Bandstand - Pablo Cruise
- 1989 - American Bandstand - Stacey Q
Number Ones – U.S. Singles:
- 1944 - I'll Be Seeing You - Bing Crosby (1 week)
- 1967 - Windy - Association (4 weeks)
- 1972 - Song Sung Blue - Neil Diamond (1 week)
- 1989 - Baby Don't Forget My Number - Milli Vanilli (1 week)
- 2006 - Do I Make You Proud? - Taylor Hicks (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. Albums:
- 1967 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Beatles (15 weeks)
- 1995 - Cracked Rear View - Hootie & the Blowfish (1 week (4 previous weeks at number 1))
- 2006 - The Big Bang - Busta Rhymes (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. R&B Singles:
- 1972 - Outa-Space - Billy Preston (1 week)
- 1978 - Stuff Like That - Quincy Jones (1 week)
- 1989 - Show and Tell - Peabo Bryson (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. Country Singles:
- 1944 - So Long Pal - Al Dexter (1 week (10 previous weeks at number 1))
- 1972 - Eleven Roses - Hank Williams, Jr. (2 weeks)
- 1978 - It Only Hurts for a Little While - Margo Smith (1 week)
- 1989 - Come From the Heart - Kathy Mattea (1 week)
- 1995 - Sold (The Grundy County Auction Incident) - John Michael Montgomery (3 weeks)
Number Ones – U.K. Singles:
- 1965 - Crying in the Chapel - Elvis Presley (1 week)
- 1972 - Take Me Back 'Ome - Slade (1 week)
- 2001 - The Way to Your Love - Hear'Say
Number Ones – U.K. Albums:
- 1961 - South Pacific - Original Soundtrack (4 weeks (109 previous weeks at number 1))
- 1989 - Batman - Prince / Soundtrack (1 week)
- 1990 - The Essential Pavarotti - Luciano Pavarotti (3 weeks)
- 1995 - These Days - Bon Jovi (4 weeks)
- 2007 - An End Has a Start - Editors (1 week)