Set within the picturesque confines of Hampton Court, Van Morrison treated the expectant crowd to a virtuoso performance, effortlessly easing through a set of 19 tracks from his extensive back cataloge.
After a quiet start the set exploded into life with a cover of the jazz standard St James Infirmary, accompanied by his band comprising of drums, bass, guitar, backing singer and a keyboardist / trumpeter.
Classics included Brown Eyed Girl, Whenever God Shines His Light On Me, Did Ye Get Healed, Baby Please Don’t Go and a sensational version of Moondance with Van enjoying himself throughout, directing his ensemble with a swift raised arm and whispering messages into attentive ears.
He brought the set to a close with a storming version of Gloria, exiting the stage mid-song to leave the rest of the band to finish the concert and take the much deserved applause.
Despite turning 70 his voice sounded that of a man half his age, proving he still has this incredible gift and is able to continue to thrill audiences with his timeless songbook, a joy.
The set list:
- Celtic Swing (from Inarticulate Speech of the Heart, 1983)
- Close Enough for Jazz (from Too Long in Exile, 1993)
- Goin' Home (from The Skiffle Sessions: Live in Belfast 1998, 2000)
- Magic Time (from Magic Time, 2005)
- Did Ye Get Healed? (from Poetic Champions Compose, 1987)
- St. James Infirmary (from What's Wrong With This Picture?, 2003)
- Wavelength (from Wavelength, 1978)
- Wild Night (from Tupelo Honey, 1971)
- Carrying a Torch (from Hymns to the Silence, 1991)
- Whenever God Shines His Light (from Avalon Sunset, 1989)
- I Believe to My Soul (from It's Too Late to Stop Now, 1974)
- Enlightenment (from Enlightenment, 1990)
- In the Afternoon (from Days Like This, 1995)
- Ancient Highway (from Days Like This, 1995)
- Burn Baby Burn (Ash cover)
- Raincheck (from Days Like This, 1995)
- Baby, Please Don't Go (Them single, 1964)
- Parchman Farm (Bukka White cover)
- Don't Start Crying Now (Them single, 1964)
- Moondance (from Moondance, 1970)
- Brown Eyed Girl (from Blowin' Your Mind, 1967)
- It's Too Late
- Help Me (from It's Too Late to Stop Now, 1974)
- Gloria (from The Angry Them, 1965)