by VVN Music
If we didn't know it before, there is now ample evidence that the trend to streaming is being driven by the fans Hip-Hop and R&B.
Spotify (via Hits Daily Double) has published their list of the top thirty streaming acts so far in 2016 and twelve of the top thirteen are Hip-Hop/R&B artists with only Justin Bieber sneaking on the list. Drake tops the list with 1.44 billion streams with Rihanna second (795 million) and Kanye West third (753 million).
Overall, Hip-Hop/R&B accounted for seventeen of the top 30 while Pop had nine and Rock and Country had two each.
There are a couple of artists that would have placed better had they embraced the streaming technology. Adele is at 15 on the strength of streams of her albums 19 and 21 as 25 has not been placed on Spotify yet. The same goes for Taylor Swift who has none of her albums on the service.
The first and only veteran act in the top 30 is the Beatles at number 18 with 227 million streams. So far, streaming is definitely a young person's game and, as is seen almost every week with Sales vs. Sales + Streaming charts, the older artists don't accumulate many extra "sales" when streaming is taken into consideration.
The top 30 (with genre / streams)
- Drake (Hip-Hop/R&B / 1.44 billion)
- Rihanna (Hip-Hop/R&B / 795 million)
- Kanye West (Hip-Hop/R&B / 753 million)
- Justin Bieber (Pop / 658 million)
- Beyonce (Hip-Hop/R&B / 592 million)
- Future (Hip-Hop/R&B / 590 million)
- G-Eazy (Hip-Hop/R&B / 529 million)
- The Weeknd (Hip-Hop/R&B / 489 million)
- Kendrick Lamar (Hip-Hop/R&B / 386 million)
- Eminem (Hip-Hop/R&B / 376 million)
- Drake and Future (Hip-Hop/R&B / 352 million)
- J. Cole (Hip-Hop/R&B / 346 million)
- Bryson Tiller (Hip-Hop/R&B / 340 million)
- One Direction (Pop / 318 million)
- Adele (Pop / 268 million)
- Chris Brown (Hip-Hop/R&B / 237 million)
- Selena Gomez (Pop / 228 million)
- Beatles (Rock / 227 million)
- A$AP Rocky (Hip-Hop/R&B / 208 million)
- Sia (Pop / 206 million)
- Shawn Mendes (Pop / 195 million)
- Fall Out Boy (Rock / 193 million)
- Luke Bryan (Country / 193 million)
- Nicki Minaj (Hip-Hop/R&B / 191 million)
- Jeremih (Hip-Hop/R&B / 189 million)
- Logic (Hip-Hop/R&B / 180 million)
- Zayn (Pop / 177 million)
- Halsey (Pop / 173 million)
- Sam Hunt (Country / 169 million)
- Ellie Goulding (Pop / 167 million)