- 1917 - Dean Martin (d. 1995)
- 1934 - Wynn Stewart (d. 1985)
- 1940 - Tom Jones (76)
- 1944 - Clarence White (Byrds) (d. 1973)
- 1944 - Townes Van Zandt (d. 1997)
- 1945 - Billy Butler (Enchanters) (74)
- 1955 - Joey Scarbury (64)
- 1956 - Larry Boone (60)
- 1957 - Paddy McAloon (Prefab Sprout) (59)
- 1958 - Prince (d. 2016)
- 1962 - Michael Cartellone (Damn Yankees, Lynyrd Skynyrd) (57)
- 1964 - Ecstasy (Whodini) (52)
- 1966 - Eric Kretz (Stone Temple Pilots) (50)
- 1967 - Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers) (49)
- 1974 - T-Low (Next) (42)
- 1977 - Randy Ragsdale (Cross Canadian Ragweed) (39)
- 1985 - Charlie Simpson (Busted, Fightstar) (31)
- 1998 - Wally Gold (Four Esquire, wrote It's My Party, It's Now or Never) (70)
- 2001 - Carole Fredericks (singer, sister of Taj Mahal) - Heart attack (49)
- 2009 - Kenny Rankin - Lung cancer (69)
- 2009 - Hugh Hopper (Soft Machine) - Leukemia (64)
- 2010 - Stuart Cable (Stereophonics) - Choked in his sleep (40)
- 2012 - Bob Welch - Suicide (66)
On This Day:
- 1964 - The Rolling Stones were booed off the stage in San Antonio, TX during their first U.S. tour.
- 1969 - Blind Faith (Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker) made their live debut in London's Hyde Park.
- 1969 - Keith Richards and Anita Pallenburg were in a car crash near Sussex, England.
- 1970 - The Who perform Tommy at New York's Metropolitan Opera House. It was the first time rock (opera or not) had been heard in its hallowed halls.
- 1972 - Grease opened on the Great White Way after an almost four-month run Off-Broadway.
- 1977 - Members of the Sex Pistols and their entourage are arrested when they try to interrupt the Silver Jubilee Celebration by playing God Save the Queen from a boat on the Themes River.
- 1979 - Chuck Berry is charged with tax evasion on the same day he plays for Jimmy Carter at the White House.
- 1990 - The Black Crowes played their first U.K. show in London.
- 1991 - Alan Jackson became a member of the Grand Ole Opry.
- 1992 - In Strasburg, ND, the birth home of Lawrence Welk was opened to the public. Between 2 and 3,000 attended.
- 1993 - The groundbreaking ceremony was held for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- 1993 - Prince changed his name to .
- 1994 - Grace Slick was sentenced to 200 hours of community service and to attend AA meetings for pointing a gun at a police officer the previous March.
- 1995 - Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead was admitted to the hospital after the continuous motion of playing his guitar caused blood to come from his ear.
- 1999 - Rod Stewart was too late to ring the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange, so he kicked soccer balls onto the trading floor.
- 2000 - Prince "reclaimed" his name with a week-long party at Paisley Park Studios in Minneapolis, MN.
- 2001 - The Experience Music Project opened their first exhibition in Seattle with Island Revolution: Jamaican Rhythm from Ska to Reggae, 1956-1981.
- 2002 - Virgin Records dropped Victoria Beckham after her first solo album sold only 50,000 copies.
- 2002 - R. Kelly was booked on child pornography charges.
- 2003 - Beck had to cancel an appearance in East Rutherford, NJ after his ribs were injured by a stage hand while watching Blur's performance.
- 2003 - Kenny Chesney played his first stadium show in Knoxville, TN.
- 2008 - The funeral of Bo Diddley was held in Gainesville, FL.
- 1974 - Richard Harris and Ann Turkel
- 1983 - Jerry Lee Lewis and Shawn Michelle Stevens (Lewis' fifth marriage)
- 1986 - Graham Russell (Air Supply) and Jodi Varble
- 1991 - Jimmy Osmond and Michelle Larson
- 2002 - Liam Howlett (Prodigy) and Natalie Appleton (All Saints)
- 1963 - Come On - Rolling Stones (first single)
- 1976 - All Things in Time - Lou Rawls
- 1976 - Rock 'n' Roll Music - Beatles
- 1978 - Soft and Wet - Prince (first single)
- 1982 - Built For Speed - Stray Cats
- 1982 - Chicago 16 - Chicago
- 1994 - Walk On - Boston
- 1994 - Purple - Stone Temple Pilots
- 2004 - Hot Fuss - Killers
- 2005 - Monkey Business - Black Eyed Peas
- 2005 - Choose Love - Ringo Starr
- 2005 - Get Behind Me Satan - White Stripes
- 1966 - Where the Action Is - Leaves, Keith Green
- 1969 - The Johnny Cash Show - Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell (debut)
- 1974 - Midnight Special - Kinks (host), Electric Light Orchestra, Rory Gallagher, Buddy Miles, Alan Price, Suzi Quatro
- 1979 - Top of the Pops - Blondie
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1940 - My Sister and I - Jimmy Dorsey (1 week)
- 1947 - Mam'selle - Art Lund (2 weeks)
- 1975 - Thank God I'm a Country Boy - John Denver (1 week)
- 1986 - Live to Tell - Madonna (1 week)
Number Ones - U.S. Albums:
- 1975 - Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy - Elton John (6 weeks)
- 2003 - 14 Shades of Gray - Staind (1 week)
- 2008 - 3 Doors Down - 3 Doors Down (1 week)
Number Ones - U.S. R&B Singles:
- 1969 - Too Busy Thinking About My Baby - Marvin Gaye (6 weeks)
- 1975 - Love Won't Let Me Wait - Major Harris (1 week)
Number Ones - U.S. Country Singles:
- 1947 - Sugar Moon - Bob Wills (1 week)
- 1975 - Window Up Above - Mickey Gilley (1 week)
- 1986 - Happy, Happy Birthday Baby - Ronnie Milsap (1 week)
- 1997 - It's Your Love - Tim McGraw & Faith Hill (6 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
- 1957 - Yes Tonight Josephine - Johnnie Ray (3 weeks)
- 1969 - Dizzy - Tommy Roe (1 week)
- 1975 - Whispering Grass - Windsor Davies and Don Estelle (3 weeks)
- 1986 - Spirit in the Sky - Doctor and the Medics (3 weeks)
- 1992 - Abba-esque (EP) - Erasure (5 weeks)
- 2009 - Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1997 - Open Road - Gary Barlow (1 week)
- 1998 - Where We Belong - Boyzone (1 week)
- 2009 - Sunny Side Up - Paolo Nutini (1 week)