Almanac: June 28, 2016
Released:Number Ones - U.S. Albums:
- 1905 - Red Nichols (d. 1965)
- 1924 - George Morgan (d. 1975)
- 1945 - Dave Knights (Procol Harum) (71)
- 1954 - Steven J. Morse (Dixie Dregs, Deep Purple) (62)
- 1959 - Oran "Juice" Jones (60)
- 1963 - Andy Cousin (All About Eve) (53)
- 1963 - Beverley Craven (53)
- 1963 - Charles Clouser (Nine Inch Nails) (53)
- 1965 - Saul Davis (James) (51)
- 1966 - Bobby Bare, Jr. (50)
- 1971 - Ray Slijngaard (2 Unlimited) (45)
- 1977 - Mark Stoermer (Killers) (36)
- 1986 - Kellie Pickler (30)
- 1980 - Culley Holt (Jordanaires) (54)
- 1993 - GG Allin - Heroin overdose (36)
- 2010 - Bill Aucoin (manager) - Complications from surgery for prostate cancer (66)
On This Day:
- 1967 - The Supremes perform for the first time as Diana Ross & the Supremes in Las Vegas.
- 1969 - The Bath Festival in England features Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall, Nice, Ten Years After and others. A total of 12,000 attend.
- 1973 - A British Invasion reunion concert played at Madison Square Garden in New York with Herman's Hermits, the Searchers, Gerry & the Pacemakers and Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders.
- 1975 - Tim Buckley played his final show in Dallas, TX.
- 1977 - Elton John became the Chairman of the Watford Football Club.
- 1979 - Bill Haley made his last studio recording.
- 1980 - Paul McCartney made it to number 1 in the U.S. with Coming Up, one of the few live cuts to ever make the top. It was the choice of DJs who played the live B-side of the record instead of the studio version that was originally pushed.
- 1985 - Gary Morris became the first person to ever sing opera at the Grand Ole Opry.
- 1986 - Wham! officially broke up after their final concert at Wembley Stadium in London.
- 1990 - Police raided the home of Chuck Berry, seizing videotape, drugs, weapons and $130,000. The police had been tipped off on the drugs.
- 1991 - Paul McCartney's Liverpool Oratorio debuted at Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral.
- 1996 - Def Leppard kicked off the North American part of their Slang world tour.
- 1997 - Bob Seger crashed his car in Nipigon, ON and was later charged with dangerous driving.
- 1999 - Police search the home of DMX after his uncle and manager is shot in the foot.
- 2007 - The Spice Girls announced their reunion tour.
- 2007 - Two workers on the Rolling Stones tour were killed and two injured while disassembling the stage in Madrid, Spain.
- 2012 - Randy Blythe from Lamb of God was arrested on manslaughter charges in Prague.
- 1966 - The Bottle Let Me Down - Merle Haggard
- 1963 - Come and Get These Memories - Martha Reeves & the Vandellas
- 1965 - I'm Gonna Break Every Heart I Can - Merle Haggard (debut single)
- 1974 - Caribou - Elton John
- 1975 - Fame - David Bowie (single)
- 1976 - 15 Big Ones - Beach Boys
- 1982 - Before I Forget - Jon Lord
- 1982 - Pictures at Eleven - Robert Plant
- 1985 - Fly on the Wall - AC/DC
- 1988 - Lead Me On - Amy Grant
- 1988 - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy
- 1988 - In God We Trust - Stryper
- 2004 - Afrodisiac - Brandy
- 2004 - The Cure - Cure
- 2005 - Somewhere Down in Texas - George Strait
- 1965 - Where the Action Is - Jan & Dean, Dee Dee Sharp, Linda Scott, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Steve Alaimo
- 1966 - Where the Action Is - Gary Lewis & the Playboys, Bobby Freeman, Bob Kuban & the In Men
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1941 - My Sister and I - Jimmy Dorsey (1 week (1 previous week at number 1))
- 1947 - Chi-Baba, Chi-Baba (My Bambino Go to Sleep) - Perry Como (3 weeks)
- 1969 - Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet - Henry Mancini (2 weeks)
- 1980 - Coming Up - Paul McCartney (3 weeks)
- 2003 - This is the Night - Clay Aiken (2 weeks)
- 2008 - Viva La Vida - Coldplay (1 week)
- 1958 - The Music Man - Original Cast (2 weeks (9 previous weeks at number 1))
- 1997 - Butterfly Kisses (Shades of Grace) - Bob Carlisle (2 weeks)
- 2003 - Dance With My Father - Luther Vandross (1 week)
- 2008 - Tha Carter III - Lil Wayne (1 week)
Number Ones - U.S. R&B Singles:
- 1947 - Jack You're Dead - Louis Jordan and the Tympany Five (7 weeks)
- 1975 - Look at Me (I'm in Love) - Moments (1 week)
- 1980 - Take Your Time (Do It Right) (Part 1) - S.O.S. Band (5 weeks)
- 1986 - There'll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry) - Billy Ocean (2 weeks)
Number Ones - U.S. Country Singles:
- 1975 - Trying to Beat the Morning Home - T.G. Sheppard (1 week)
- 1980 - Trying to Love Two Women - Oak Ridge Boys (1 week)
- 1986 - Living in the Promised Land - Willie Nelson (1 week)
- 2008 - Better as a Memory - Kenny Chesney (2 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
- 1957 - Puttin' On the Style / Gamblin' Man - Lonnie Donegan (2 weeks)
- 1962 - Come Outside - Mike Same and Wendy Richard (2 weeks)
- 1975 - I'm Not in Love - 10cc (2 weeks)
- 1986 - The Edge of Heaven - Wham! (2 weeks)
- 2009 - Bulletproof - La Roux (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1975 - Venus and Mars - Wings (1 week)
- 1980 - Flesh and Blood - Roxy Music (1 week)
- 1997 - OK Computer - Radiohead (1 week)
- 1998 - Talk on Corners - Coors (1 week)
- 2009 - Number Ones - Michael Jackson (1 week)