- 1922 - Johnny Smith (d. 2013)
- 1925 - Clifton Chenier (d. 1987)
- 1935 - Eddie Floyd (81)
- 1936 - Harold Melvin (d. 1997)
- 1940 - Clint Warwick (Moody Blues) (d. 2004)
- 1945 - Carly Simon (71)
- 1946 - Ian McDonald (King Crimson) (70)
- 1946 - Allen Lanier (Blue Oyster Cult) (d. 2013)
- 1952 - Tim Finn (Split Enz, Crowded House) (64)
- 1952 - Brian MacLeod (Chilliwack) (d. 1992)
- 1954 - David Paich (Toto) (62)
- 1963 - George Michael (born Georgios Panayiotou) (53)
- 1968 - Candyman (born Candell Manson) (48)
- 1972 - Mike Kroeger (Nickelback) (44)
- 1976 - Johnny Mercer - Brain tumor (66)
- 1987 - Boudleaux Bryant (67)
- 1988 - Hillel Slovak (Red Hot Chili Peppers) - Heroin overdose (26)
- 2006 - Arif Mardin (producer) - Pancreatic cancer (74)
- 2009 - Michael Jackson - Cardiac arrest (50)
- 1949 - Billboard magazine changed it's Hillbilly Music chart to Country & Western.
- 1966 - Jackie Wilson was arrested and charged with inciting a riot and refusing to obey police in Port Arthur, TX. He was eventually just charged with drunkenness and given a $30 fine.
- 1966 - A concert at the Hollywood Bowl features the Beach Boys, the Byrds, Captain Beefheart, the Lovin' Spoonful, Love and Percy Sledge.
- 1967 - Jimi Hendrix played a free show in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco before playing two paying shows at the Fillmore West.
- 1969 - Mick Taylor performed for the first time with the Rolling Stones.
- 1976 - David Bryon performed for the last time with Uriah Heep.
- 1982 - Lew Dewitt retired from the Statler Brothers.
- 1984 - Patti Scialfa joined the E-Street Band.
- 1986 - Jenifer Strait, the 13-year-old daughter of George Strait, is killed in a car accident in San Marcos, TX.
- 1995 - Pearl Jam cancelled their tour as part of their ongoing disagreement with Ticketmaster.
- 1997 - A warrant is issued in Jamaica for Sade who did not show up for a court date over failure to stop for an officer.
- 1997 - A concert was held at Ryman Auditorium in Nashville with over 70 artists performing for Chet Atkins Day.
- 2000 - Billy Gilman made his debut at the Grand Ole Opry at the age of 12.
- 2003 - The RIAA announced that it would fight internet piracy by suing individual computer users who they found were downloading music.
- 2005 - Sophie Ellis Bextor and Richard Jones (The Feeling)
- 2006 - Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman
- 1987 - Reba McEntire and Charlie Battles (filed)
- 1965 - Make the World Go Away - Eddy Arnold
- 1969 - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother - Hollies
- 1971 - I Wrote a Simple Song - Billy Preston
- 1973 - Chicago VI - Chicago
- 1975 - One Size Fits All - Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention
- 1976 - Goes to Hell - Alice Cooper
- 1976 - Softs - Soft Machine
- 1976 - Whistling Down the Wire - Crosby & Nash
- 1980 - Huey Lewis & the News - Huey Lewis & the News
- 1982 - Let Me Rock You - Peter Criss
- 1982 - Lexicon of Love - ABC
- 1984 - Purple Rain - Prince
- 1991 - Attack of the Killer B's - Anthrax
- 1991 - Luck of the Draw - Bonnie Raitt
- 1996 - Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z (debut)
- 1996 - Dreamin' Out Loud - Trace Adkins (debut)
- 2002 - Songs About Jane - Maroon 5 (debut)
- 1967 - Our World - The first worldwide TV broadcast with performances by the Beatles (All You Need is Love), the Rolling Stones and the Who.
- 1976 - Midnight Special - Natalie Cole (host), Captain & Tennille, Electric Light Orchestra, Sonny James, Pratt & McClain, Jethro Tull
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1966 - Paperback Writer - Beatles (1 week)
- 1977 - Got to Give It Up (Part 1) - Marvin Gaye (1 week)
- 1988 - Foolish Beat - Debbie Gibson (1 week)
Number Ones - U.S. Albums:
- 1983 - Flashdance - Soundtrack (2 weeks)
- 1988 - OU812 - Van Halen (4 weeks)
- 1994 - Purple - Stone Temple Pilots (3 weeks)
- 2005 - X&Y - Coldplay (3 weeks)
Number Ones - U.S. R&B Singles:
- 1955 - Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley (2 weeks)
- 1966 - Ain't Too Proud to Beg - Temptations (4 weeks)
- 1977 - Best of My Love - Emotions (3 weeks)
- 1988 - Joy - Teddy Pendergrass (2 weeks)
Number Ones - U.S. Country Singles:
- 1983 - Fool For Your Love - Mickey Gilley (1 week)
- 1988 - He's Back and I'm Blue - Desert Rose Band (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
- 1964 - It's Over - Roy Orbison (2 weeks)
- 1977 - Show You the Way to Go - Jacksons (1 week)
- 1988 - I Owe You Nothing - Bros (2 weeks)
- 2000 - Spinning Around - Kylie Minogue (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1977 - The Muppet Show - TV Soundtrack (1 week)
- 1983 - Synchronicity - Police (2 weeks)
- 1994 - Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can't We? - Cranberries (1 week)
- 2000 - The Marshall Mathers EP - Eminem (1 week)