- 1897 - Memphis Minnie (d. 1973)
- 1917 - Ramblin' Tommy Scott (d. 2013)
- 1929 - Connie Hall (87)
- 1942 - Michelle Lee (74)
- 1942 - Arthur Brown (74)
- 1944 - Jeff Beck (72)
- 1944 - Charlie Whitney (Family, Streetwalkers) (72)
- 1944 - Chris Wood (Traffic) (d. 1983)
- 1945 - Colin Blunstone (Zombies) (71)
- 1947 - Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac) (69)
- 1948 - Patrick Moraz (Yes, Moody Blues) (68)
- 1949 - John Illsley (Dire Straits) (67)
- 1950 - Derrick "Duckie" Simpson (Black Uhuru) (66)
- 1957 - Astro (born Terence Wilson) (UB40) (59)
- 1959 - Andy McCluskey (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) (57)
- 1960 - Siedah Garrett (56)
- 1961 - Curt Smith (Tears for Fears) (55)
- 1961 - Dennis Danell (Social Distortion) (d. 2000)
- 1966 - Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star) (50)
- 1967 - Richard Kruspe (Rammstein) (49)
- 1967 - Jeff Cease (Black Crowes) (49)
- 1970 - Glenn Medeiros (46)
- 1974 - Mario Calire (Wallflowers, Ozomatli) (42)
- 1978 - Ariel Pink (38)
- 1986 - Solange Knowles (30)
- 1992 - Tony LeMans - Car accident (29)
- 2008 - Ira Tucker, Jr. (Dixie Hummingbirds) (83)
- 2013 - Alan Myers (Devo) - Stomach cancer (58)
On This Day:
- 1957 - The Flamingos signed with Decca Records.
- 1964 - Connie Smith signed with RCA Records.
- 1965 - John Lennon's A Spaniard in the Works, his second book of poetry, is published.
- 1966 - The Rolling Stones opened their fifth North American tour in Lynn, MA with supporting acts the Standells and the McCoys.
- 1973 - The Blues Project hold a reunion concert in Central Park.
- 1988 - UB40's Earl Falconer was sentenced to six months in jail and 12 months license suspension after being involved in an accident that killed his brother.
- 1989 - Garth Brooks made his Grand Ole Opry debut.
- 1990 - Donnie Wahlberg of New Kids on the Block fell through an unlocked trapdoor in the stage of the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (NY) and spent the next two days in the hospital.
- 1990 - Perry Bamonte replaced Roger O'Donnell in the Cure
- 1992 - Donny Osmond opened in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in Toronto where he would stay for the next year.
- 1992 - Billy Joel received his high school diploma from Hicksville (Long Island) High School. He originally failed to graduate in 1967.
- 1998 - Johnny Cash is a surprise guest during the set of Kris Kristofferson at Nashville's Witness History II at the Ryman Auditorium. It's his first Nashville appearance since the previous October when he was diagnosed with Shy-Drager Syndrome.
- 1999 - Eric Clapton auctioned off 100 of his guitars for his Crossroads Rehabilitation Center in Antigua with the 1956 Fender Stratocaster (named Brownie) used to record Layla fetching the largest bid of $497,500.
- 2003 - Mariah Carey starts her first tour in three years in Osaka, Japan.
- 2004 - Eric Clapton holds another auction for the Crossroads Center. This time, a Fender Stratocaster (named Brownie) sells for $959,000.
- 2005 - The 2005 Glastonbury Festival includes performances by the Killers, the White Stripes, the Kaiser Chiefs, New Order, Coldplay, James Blunt, Brian Wilson, Garbage, Primal Scream, the Basement Jaxx and more.
- 2012 - Glen Campbell made his final appearance at the Hollywood Bowl including an opening half that included performances from the likes of Kris Kristofferson, Lucinda Williams and Jackson Browne.
- 2000 - Natalie Maines (Dixie Chicks) and Adrian Pasdar
- 1968 - Friends - Beach Boys
- 1972 - I Am Woman - Helen Reddy (single)
- 1974 - Endless Summer - Beach Boys
- 1980 - Hold Out - Jackson Browne
- 1982 - Stink - Replacements
- 1986 - Time's Incinerator - Soul Asylum
- 1997 - Generation Swine - Motley Crue
- 2003 - Elephunk - Black Eyed Peas
- 2003 - Hotel Paper - Michelle Branch
- 2003 - Dangerously in Love - Beyonce (solo debut)
- 2008 - The Sound of Madness - Shinedown
- 2008 - Saints of Los Angeles - Motley Crue
- 1966 - Where the Action Is - Association (national network TV debut), Petula Clark, Paul Revere & the Raiders
- 1969 - Maida Vale (BBC) - Led Zeppelin
- 1977 - Midnight Special - Gregg Allman (host), Elvin Bishop, Booker T & the M.G.'s, Bad Company, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jennifer Warnes
- 2007 - CMT Crossroads - Reba McEntire and Kelly Clarkson
- 2011 - CMT Crossroads - Luke Bryan and the Doobie Brothers
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1989 - Satisfied - Richard Marx (1 week)
- 2000 - Be With You - Enrique Iglesias (3 weeks)
- 1967 - Headquarters - Monkees (1 week)
- 1995 - P.U.L.S.E. - Pink Floyd (1 week)
- 2006 - Decemberunderground - AFI (1 week)
Number Ones - U.S. R&B Singles:
- 1972 - Lean on Me - Bill Withers (1 week)
- 1995 - One More Chance / Stay With Me - Notorious B.I.G. (9 weeks)
Number Ones - U.S. Country Singles:
- 1972 - That's Why I Love You Like I Do - Sonny James (1 week)
- 1978 - I'll Be True to You - Emmylou Harris (1 week)
- 1989 - I Don't Want to Spoil the Party - Rosanne Cash (1 week)
- 1995 - Texas Tornado - Tracy Lawrence (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
- 1955 - Unchained Melody - Jimmy Young (3 weeks)
- 1965 - I'm Alive - Hollies (1 week)
- 1989 - Back to Life (However Do You Want Me) - Soul II Soul (4 weeks)
- 2001 - Lady Marmalade - Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya and Pink (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1989 - Flowers in the Dirt - Paul McCartney (1 week)
- 1990 - Step by Step - New Kids on the Block (1 week)
- 1995 - HIStory - Michael Jackson (1 week)
- 2007 - Icky Thump - White Stripes (1 week)