Almanac: June 23, 2016
- 1929 - June Carter Cash (d. 2003)
- 1937 - Niki Sullivan (Crickets) (d. 2004)
- 1940 - Diana Trask (76)
- 1940 - Adam Faith (d. 2003)
- 1940 - Jimmy Castor (d. 2012)
- 1940 - Stuart Sutcliffe (Beatles) (d. 1962)
- 1944 - Rosetta Hightower (Orlons) (72)
- 1945 - Paul Goddard (Atlanta Rhythm Section) (d. 2014)
- 1948 - Myles Goodwyn (April Wine) (68)
- 1948 - Alan Vega (born Boruch Bermowitz) (Suicide) (68)
- 1953 - Pake McEntire (63)
- 1955 - Glenn Danzig (Danzig) (61)
- 1956 - Randy Jackson (producer, American Idol judge) (60)
- 1962 - Steve Shelley (Sonic Youth) (54)
- 1962 - Richard Coles (Communards) (54)
- 1964 - Joey Allen (Warrant) (52)
- 1965 - Paul Arthurs (Oasis) (51)
- 1966 - Mark Chadwick (Levellers) (50)
- 1966 - Jim MacPherson (Breeders) (50)
- 1966 - Chico DeBarge (DeBarge) (50)
- 1975 - K.T. Tunstall (41)
- 1977 - Jason Mraz (39)
- 1978 - Memphis Bleek (born Malik Cox) (38)
- 1978 - Lizzy Borden (born Gregory Harges) (Lizzy Borden) (38)
- 1980 - Jessica Taylor (Liberty X) (36)
- 1981 - Antony Costa (Blue) (35)
- 1984 - Duffy (born Amie Duffy) (32)
- 1932 - Elton Britt (58)
- 2013 - Bobby Bland (83)
On This Day:
- 1970 - Chubby Checker was arrested for having marijuana and other drugs in his car in Niagara Falls.
- 1975 - Alice Cooper fell of the stage while performing in Vancouver, breaking six ribs.
- 1976 - Paul McCartney & Wings played the last show of their Wings Over America tour in Los Angeles.
- 1981 - King Crimson is reformed by Robert Fripp with Bill Buford, Adrian Belew and Tony Levin.
- 1989 - George Michael was presented the Silver Clef Award for service to British music.
- 1994 - Barry Manilow's musical Copacabana opened in London.
- 1995 - Alan White debuted as the drummer for Oasis at the Glastonbury Festival.
- 2000 - Ol' Dirty Bastard is ordered to 180-days in drug rehabilitation in lieu of jail for probation violations.
- 2000 - Neil Young receives his star on the Canadian Walk of Fame.
- 2000 - The Experience Music Project was opened in Seattle with memorabilia from Jimi Hendrix' career.
- 2003 - Diana Ross appeared in court on DUI charges, saying that she felt coerced into taking the breathalyzer test.
- 2004 - Bob Dylan was made a honorary Doctor of Music by the University of St. Andrews, Scotland.
- 2004 - Dave Navarro announced on his website that Jane's Addiction were finished.
- 2005 - Four people are stabbed and one killed at a Corrosion of Conformity concert in Ybor City, FL.
- 2006 - A charity concert was held for Arthur Lee of Love who is fighting leukemia. Robert Plant leads the bill.
- 2008 - Coldplay opened the U.S. leg of their Viva la Vida world tour in New York.
- 2006 - Kevin Richardson left the Backstreet Boys to pursue other interests.
- 2009 - Chris Brown plead guilty to assault in the incident with his then girlfriend, Rihanna. He received five years probation and six months community service.
- 2009 - Montgomery Gentry became members of the Grand Ole Opry.
- 2010 - Gregg Allman had a successful liver transplant.
- 1967 - John Entwistle (Who) and Alison Wise
- 1965 - Love is Like an Itching In My Heart - Supremes
- 1952 - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels - Kitty Wells (single)
- 1964 - Stevie at the Beach - Stevie Wonder
- 1965 - Tracks of My Tears - Miracles (single)
- 1971 - Byrdmaniax - Byrds
- 1972 - Living in the Past - Jethro Tull
- 1975 - Red Octopus - Jefferson Starship
- 1977 - I Wanna Be With You Tonight - Alabama (debut single)
- 1979 - My Sharona - Knack (single)
- 1979 - The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band (single)
- 1980 - Saved - Bob Dylan
- 1981 - Tom Tom Club - Tom Tom Club
- 1982 - Mirage - Fleetwood Mac
- 1984 - Panama - Van Halen (single)
- 1986 - Every Beat of My Heart - Rod Stewart
- 1992 - The One - Elton John
- 1996 - You Wanted the Best, You Got the Best - Kiss
- 1965 - Shindig - Byrds, Kingsmen, Micki Lynn, Jody Miller, Dave Berry, Righteous Brothers, Stoneman Family, Everly Brothers, Adam Faith, Melinda Marx, Billy Preston, Jean King, Willy Nelson
- 1966 - Where the Action Is - Steve Alaimo, Keith Allison, Love, Gene Pitney
- 1978 - Midnight Special - Burton Cummings (host), Randy Bachman, Ronnie Montrose, Teddy Pendergrass, Patti Smith
- 2012 - CMT Crossroads - Joe Walsh, Brad Paisley, Hunter Hayes, Sara Evans, Kenny Chesney, Luke Bryan, Billy Gibbons
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1951 - Too Young - Nat King Cole (5 weeks)
- 1984 - The Reflex - Duran Duran (2 weeks)
Number Ones - U.S. Albums:
- 1962 (Mono Albums) - Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music - Ray Charles (14 weeks)
- 1973 - Living in the Material World - George Harrison (5 weeks)
- 2007 - Epiphany - T-Pain (1 week)
Number Ones - U.S. R&B Singles:
- 1958 - Yakety Yak - Coasters (7 weeks)
- 1958 - What Am I Living For - Chuck Willis (1 week)
- 1990 - You Can't Touch This - MC Hammer (1 week)
Number Ones - U.S. Country Singles:
- 1956 - Crazy Arms - Ray Price (20 weeks*)
- 1958 - Guess Things Happen That Way - Johnny Cash (8 weeks)
- 1973 - Satin Sheets - Jeanne Pruitt (1 week (2 previous weeks at number 1))
- 1979 - Nobody Likes Sad Songs - Ronnie Milsap (1 week)
- 1984 - When We Make Love - Alabama (1 week)
- 2001 - I'm Already There - Lonestar (6 weeks)
- 2007 - Find Out Who Your Friends Are - Tracy Lawrence (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
- 1960 - Three Steps to Heaven - Eddie Cochran (2 weeks)
- 1966 - Paperback Writer - Beatles (2 weeks)
- 1973 - Rubber Bullets - 10cc (1 week)
- 1991 - Any Dream Will Do - Jason Donovan (2 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1962 - West Side Story - Original Soundtrack (5 weeks)