Almanac: June 19, 2016
Released:Number Ones - U.S. Albums:
- 1902 - Guy Lombardo (d. 1977)
- 1914 - Lester Flatt (d. 1979)
- 1925 - Charlie Drake (d. 2006)
- 1928 - Tommy DeVito (Four Seasons) (88)
- 1936 - Shirley Goodman (Shirley & Lee) (d. 2005)
- 1939 - Al Wilson (d. 2008)
- 1942 - Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane (Spanky & Our Gang) (74)
- 1944 - Robin Box (White Plains) (72)
- 1945 - Robert Palmer (writer) (d. 1997)
- 1948 - Nick Drake (d. 1974)
- 1950 - Ann Wilson (Heart) (66)
- 1953 - Larry Dunn (Earth, Wind & Fire) (63)
- 1956 - Doug Stone (60)
- 1957 - Maxi Jazz (Faithless) (59)
- 1959 - Mark DeBarge (DeBarge) (57)
- 1959 - Dennis Fuller (London Boys) (d. 1996)
- 1962 - Paula Abdul (54)
- 1963 - Simon Wright (AC/DC, Dio) (53)
- 1966 - Brian Vander Ark (Verve Pipe) (50)
- 1970 - Brian Welch (Korn) (46)
- 1976 - Scott Avett (Avett Brothers) (40)
- 1983 - Macklemore (born Ben Haggerty) (33)
- 1997 - Bobby Helms - Emphysema and asthma (63)
- 2013 - Slim Whitman - Heart failure (90)
- 2013 - Chet Flippo
- 2014 - Gerry Goffin (75)
On This Day:
- 1967 - Otis Redding is inspired to write Sitting on the Dock of the Bay while listening to the Beatles new Sgt. Pepper album.
- 1967 - Paul McCartney admitted he had take acid four times during an interview with Life magazine.
- 1973 - The Rocky Horror Picture Show opens at a London theater with Tim Curry and, in his stage debut, Meat Loaf.
- 1974 - The Delinquents, with Mick Jones, made their first appearance in Kensington, U.K.
- 1976 - Bay City Rollers opened their first U.S. tour in Atlantic City, NJ.
- 1977 - Six men beat up Paul Cook of the Sex Pistols outside of a London subway station.
- 1980 - Donna Summer was the first act signed by David Geffen to Geffen Records.
- 1982 - Riders in the Sky joined the Grand Ole Opry.
- 1984 - Tickets for a ten-night stand by Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band at the Meadowlands in New Jersey go on sale with 202,000 seats sold in 24 hours.
- 1986 - Ricky Van Shelton auditioned for CBS Records in Nashville.
- 1987 - Guns N' Roses made their first U.K. appearance in London.
- 1988 - Over 3,000 East Germans gathered at the Berlin Wall to hear Michael Jackson who was performing on the West Berlin side.
- 1998 - The second annual Lilith Fair opened in Portland, OR.
- 2003 - G-Man from the U.K. rap group So Solid Crew was sentenced to four years in jail for possession of a loaded handgun.
- 2005 - Richard Ashcroft of the Verve was arrested after going to a youth club in a possible drunken state and demanding to work with the children.
- 2008 - The Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted Loretta Lynn, Desmond Child, John Sebastian, Alan Menken and Albert Hammond.
- 2011 - Amy Winehouse was booed from the stage in Belgrade, Serbia after taking the stage drunk and putting on a substandard show.
- 2012 - Rickey Goodrich, former CFO for Pearl Jam, is charged with stealing over $380,000 from the band.
- 1953 - James Brown and Velma Warren
- 1982 - Amy Grant and Gary Chapman
- 1988 - Danny Spitz (Anthrax) and Valerie
- 2007 - Darren Hayes (Savage Garden) and Richard Cullen (civil ceremony in London)
- 2010 - LeAnn Rimes and Dean Sheremet
- 1962 - Ramblin' Rose - Nat King Cole
- 1950 - Guilty Conscience - Carl Smith (single, first release)
- 1964 - Long Tall Sally - Beatles (EP)
- 1973 - Smokey - Smokey Robinson
- 1974 - Live! - Marvin Gaye
- 1978 - Thick as Thieves - Trooper
- 1981 - Only a Lad - Oingo Boingo
- 1984 - The Allnighter - Glenn Frey
- 1987 - Sammy Hagar (I Never Said Goodbye) - Sammy Hagar
- 1988 - Outrider - Jimmy Page
- 1989 - Soul Provider - Michael Bolton
- 1989 - Heart of Stone - Cher
- 1989 - Mr. Big - Mr. Big
- 1990 - Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em - Eric B. & Rakim
- 1993 - Crazy Legs - Jeff Beck
- 2001 - From Chaos - 311
- 2001 - Devil's Night - D12
- 2001 - I'm Already There - Lonestar
- 2001 - Shangri-La Dee Da - Stone Temple Pilots
- 2003 - N.E.W.S. - Prince (exclusive to members of his NPG Music Club)
- 2006 - Tim McGraw - Taylor Swift (debut single)
- 2007 - 5th Gear - Brad Paisley
- 1973 - Roberta Flack...The First Time Ever (ABC)
- 1976 - Standing Room Only - Bette Midler concert (HBO)
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1961 - Moody River - Pat Boone (1 week)
- 1965 - I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) (1 week)
- 1971 - It's Too Late / I Feel The Earth Move - Carole King (5 weeks)
- 2010 - California Gurls - Katy Perry Featuring Snoop Dogg (6 weeks)
- 1971 - Tapestry - Carole King (15 weeks)
- 1976 - Wings at the Speed of Sound - Wings (5 weeks (2 previous weeks at number 1))
- 1982 - Asia - Asia (7 weeks (2 previous weeks at number 1))
- 2004 - Confessions - Usher (1 week (8 previous weeks at number 1))
- 2010 - To the Sea - Jack Johnson (1 week)
Number Ones - U.S. R&B Singles:
- 1948 - Good Rockin' Tonight - Wynonie Harris (1 week)
- 1976 - Sophisticated Lady (She's a Different Lady) - Natalie Cole
Number Ones - U.S. Country Singles:
- 1948 - Bouquet of Roses - Eddy Arnold (3 weeks (1 previous week at number 1))
- 1954 - I Don't Hurt Anymore - Hank Snow (20 weeks*)
- 1965 - Ribbon of Darkness - Gordon Lightfoot (1 week)
- 1971 - When You're Hot, You're Hot - Jerry Reed (5 weeks)
- 1976 - El Paso City - Marty Robbins (2 weeks)
- 1982 - Slow Hand - Conway Twitty (2 weeks)
- 1993 - Blame it On Your Heart - Patty Loveless (2 weeks)
- 1999 - Write This Down - George Strait (4 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
- 1959 - Roulette - Russ Conway (2 weeks)
- 1971 - Chirpy Chirpy Cheap Cheap - Middle of the Road (5 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1971 - Sticky Fingers - Rollings Stones (1 week (4 previous weeks at number 1))
- 1982 - Avalon - Roxy Music (2 weeks (1 previous week at number 1)
- 1993 - What's Love Got to Do With It - Tina Turner (uncharted) (1 week)