by VVN Music
The New York theater awards season opened on Thursday with the Outer Critics Circle awards honoring both Broadway and Off-Broadway productions.
Luckily for Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, Hamilton played Off-Broadway before moving to the Great White Way and swept last years awards, clearing the way for their Bright Star to take two major trophies.
Bright Star took home the big Outstanding New Broadway Musical along with The Marorie Gunner Award for Outstanding New Score. The show had been nominated in seven categories.
Also winning was Sergio Trujillo for Outstanding Choreography for On Your Feet!, the musical that tracks the careers of Gloria and Emilio Estefan.
The revival of Sheldon Harnick's She Loves Me was the big winner for the evening with four awards. Harnick, who also wrote Fiddler on the Roof, was given a lifetime achievement award.
The major category winners:
- Outstanding New Broadway Musical - Bright Star
- Outstanding New Off-Broadway Musical - Dear Evan Hansen
- Outstanding Revival of a Musical (Broadway or Off-Broadway) - She Loves Me
- Outstanding Director of a Musical - Michael Arden - Spring Awakening
- Outstanding Actor in a Musical - Danny Burstein - Fiddler on the Roof
- Outstanding Actress in a Musical - Cynthia Erivo - The Color Purple the Musical
- Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical - Christopher Fitzgerald - Waitress
- Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical - Jane Krakowski - She Loves Me
- Outstanding New Score (Broadway or Off-Broadway) (The Marjorie Gunner Award) - Bright Star
- Outstanding Book Of A Musical (Broadway or Off-Broadway) - Dear Evan Hansen
- Outstanding New Broadway Play - The Humans
- Outstanding New Off-Broadway Play - The Christians
- Outstanding Revival of a Play (Broadway or Off-Broadway) - Long Day’s Journey Into Night
- Outstanding Director of a Play (The Lucille Lortel Award) - Ivo van Hove - A View From the Bridge
- Outstanding Actor in a Play - Frank Langella - The Father
- Outstanding Actress in a Play - Jessica Lange - Long Day’s Journey Into Night
- Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play - Michael Shannon - Long Day’s Journey Into Night
- Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play - Pascale Armand - Eclipsed & Judith Light - Thérèse Raquin
- John Gassner Playwriting Award (Presented for an American play, preferably by a new playwright) - Marco Ramirez - The Royale
- Outstanding Solo Performance - James Lecesne - The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey