Radiohead has gotten their sixth number 1 album in the U.K. and all without a CD or Vinyl.
A Moon Shaped Pool was released earlier this week as a download only with other media not coming out until June 17. Nonetheless, the album premiered at the top of the charts to join OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows as Radiohead number ones.
Their last album, 2011's The King of Limbs peaked at 7, the only one of their last seven albums to not go all the way.
At 8 is Electronica 2: The Heart of Noise by Jean Michel Jarre, the same position that Electronica 1: The Time Machine debuted in October of last year. This is Jarre's sixth top ten album in the U.K. with his highest being 1987's Revolutions which went to number 2.
Prince still has a heavy presence on the chart with his last album, HITNRUN Phase 2 hitting the chart for the first time this week at 21. The album does better than HITNRUN Phase 1, which was released last September and only went to 50. Phase 2 has been available for some time via Tidal but only went into general release last week.
Cyndi Lauper returns to the British Albums chart at 43 with her country covers album, Detour. That is the highest she has gone on the chart with a studio album in 27 years, going back to 1989's A Night to Remember which went to 9. Her 1994 hits collection Twelve Deadly Cyns...And Then Some peaked at 2.
Four spots lower at 47 is Mary Chapin Carpenter and The Things That We Are Made Of. The premier spot betters her last album, Songs From the Movie (2014 / #95) but falls short of the previous set, Ashes and Roses (2012 / #26).
The deluxe version of Ryan Adams' 2000 debut as a solo artist, Heartbreaker, opens at 56. This is one of the few cases where a deluxe re-release beats the original on the charts, in this case, by a long ways as, in 2000, Adams peaked at 183 in Britain.
Farther down the cart at 72 is the premier of Boxes by the Goo Goo Dolls. While the band remains very popular in Britain, especially due to their song Iris, this is the lowest they have been on the albums chart since 1998's Dizzy Up the Girl became their first U.K. hit. Their previous five albums before Dizzy did not chart.
The top ten albums this week in the U.K. by veteran artists:
- A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
- The Very Best of Prince - Prince
- Here You Are: The Best of Billy Ocean - Billy Ocean
- Electronica 2: The Heart of Noise - Jean Michel Jarre
- Purple Rain - Prince
- Sign O the Times - Prince
- Best of Bowie - David Bowie
- The Hits 1 - Prince
- HITNRUN Phase Two - Prince
- One Voice - Aled Jones
- A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
- Konnichiwa - Skepta
- Lemonade - Beyonce
- Views - Drake
- Take Me to the Alley - Gregory Porter
- One Dance - Drake Featuring Wizkid & Kyla
- This is What You Came For - Calvin Harris Featuring Rihanna
- Can't Stop This Feeling - Justin Timberlake
- Cheap Thrills - Sia
- I Took a Pill in Ibiza - Mike Posner
- Album Downloads - A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
- Album Sales - A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
- Vinyl Album Sales - Purple Rain - Prince
- Independent Albums - A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
- Independent Albums Breakers - Pierced Arrow - The Rides
- Soundtrack Albums - Purple Rain - Prince
- Country Albums - Detour - Cyndi Lauper
- Scottish Albums - A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
- Country Compilation Albums - The Best of Music & Memories - Daniel O'Donnell
- Physical Singles Sales - Out of Control - Lush
- Vinyl Singles Sales - The Boy With the Thorn in His Side - Jeff Buckley
- Music Videos - Sign O the Times - Prince