Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Was Brian Johnson Fired From AC/DC? Perspectives From Eddie Trunk and Johnson, Himself

by Paul Cashmere, Noise11

After the departure of Brian Johnson from AC/DC more details have surfaced suggested Johnson was fired from the band.

In a report published by Ultimate-Guitar.com it is claimed by metal journalist Eddie Trunk “What really happened with Brian is anyone’s guess. But nobody is buying the hearing thing that I know. My sources tell me Brian was slowing down and didn’t want to work as hard as Angus (who is younger) did.

Trunk spoke with Axl Rose at the Guns N Roses show in Las Vegas last week. He says Rose just wants to play with his heroes. “Needless to say for Axl this is a moment for him to play with his heroes. He told me how excited he was to have the chance to do this and said he would do an interview with me about it if I didn’t say anything until official word comes out”.

What did surprise Trunk was the grubbiness of the decision to fire Brian and how it was done. “I can’t believe after 36 years AC/DC would say goodbye to their singer and not find a work around. MANY have hearing issues and find a way to make it work in rock. And until Brian speaks, we will never know. Brian is a total class act. So very possible he takes the high road here.”

Johnson, though, has a different perspective. Brian has issued a statement to assure fans that he is “not retiring’ and that he will continue to record.

While Johnson is officially out of AC/DC the statement suggests that Brian’s next move may be a solo album. “I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring. My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that,” he said in the statement at his official website.

Johnson also confirmed that his hearing had deteriorated and that was the cause of his departure from AC/DC. He said he left as to “not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC”.

“I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond. That was the darkest day of my professional life,” he said.

AC/DC opted to replace Brian with Axl Rose for upcoming shows in Europe and North America instead of working on a solution with Brian.

Here is Johnson’s full statement:

As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer. I want personally to explain the reason because I don’t believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness. While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage. I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised. In all honesty this was something I could not in good conscience allow. Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can’t deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC. I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond. That was the darkest day of my professional life.

Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena and stadium size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness. Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine. The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before. Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life’s work. I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice. The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person.

Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years. Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC. My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring. My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that. For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing. I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances. While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic.

Only time will tell.

Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

Love,

Brian

2 comments:

airblainer said...

Class act!

Bob C said...

Who gives a fuck! They are all closing on 70 years old, Take your spoils and go have fun your next 10 tears when you croak!

Idiots!!!!!!!!!!

Search