Forty years ago today, April 29, 1976, Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris entered a television studio and recorded a performance for Parton's variety show.
It was the first time that the three had performed together live. The trio had admired each other's records and wanted to do an album together, even entering the studio to record some tracks. Unfortunately, each recorded for different labels and logistics stopped the album from being completed.
Songs from those sessions did make it on solo albums by the artists but it wasn't until 1987 that the three were able to coordinate schedules and finally put out their Trio album.
Here, they perform the traditional song The Sweetest Gift.
The top ten singles on April 29, 1976 (chart for the week of 4/25/76):
- Disco Lady - Johnny Taylor
- Let Your Love Flow - Bellamy Brothers
- Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightengale
- Boogie Fever - Sylvers
- Sweet Love - Commodores
- Only Sixteen - Dr. Hook
- Welcome Back - John Sebastian
- Show Me the Way - Peter Frampton
- Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
- Fooled Around and Fell in Love - Elvin Bishop
- At the Speed of Sound - Wings
- Presence - Led Zeppelin
- Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 - Eagles
- A Night at the Opera - Queen
- Eargasm - Johnnie Taylor