In late May of 2013, Frederick "Toots" Hibbert was performing with his band, Toots & the Maytals, at the Dominion Riverrock Festival in Richmond, VA when a 19-year-old man in the crowd threw a vodka bottle at the stage, hitting Hibbert in the head and causing lacerations.
What seemed like it would be a fairly quick fix in the hospital turned into a nightmare for Hibbert who suffered numerous aftereffects and was ordered by doctor's to cancel the balance of their 2013 tour.
The concertgoer, William Connor Lewis, was charged with felony assault and was sentenced to six months in prison even though Toots asked for leniency. Still, Hibbert continued to suffer from the attack over the last three years listing extreme anxiety, memory loss, headaches, dizziness, a fear of crowds and performing and the inability to remember song lyrics.
As of today, it appears that he is finally over many of those issues as Toots & the Maytals have announced nine North American shows for the month of June.
Tickets go on sale on April 15.
- 06/15 - San Diego, CA - Observatory North Park
- 06/16 - Santa Ana, CA - The Observatory
- 06/17 - Los Angeles, CA - The Fonda
- 06/18 - Boonville, CA - Mendocino County Fairgrounds (Sierra Nevada World Music Festival)
- 06/20 - Seattle, WA - The Showbox
- 06/22 - Victoria, BC - Victoria Ska Festival
- 06/23 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom
- 06/24 - Portland, OR - Revolution Hall
- 06/26 - Jamaica, NY - Roy Wilkins Park (Groovin' In The Park)