Almanac: April 9, 2016
- 1895 - Mance Lipscomb (d. 1976)
- 1932 - Carl Perkins (d. 1998)
- 1928 - Tom Lehrer (88)
- 1941 - Kay Adams (75)
- 1942 - Margo Smith (74)
- 1943 - Terry Knight (Terry Knight & the Pack) (d. 2004)
- 1945 - Steve Gadd (71)
- 1945 - Con Hunley (71)
- 1945 - Emil Stucchio (Classics) (71)
- 1945 - Gus Hardin (born Carolyn Ann Blankenship) (d. 1996)
- 1946 - Phillip Wright (Paper Lace) (70)
- 1946 - Les Gray (Mud) (d. 2004)
- 1948 - Chico Ryan (Happenings, Sha-Na-Na) (d. 1998)
- 1953 - Hal Ketchum (63)
- 1959 - Dave Innis (Restless Heart) (57)
- 1961 - Mark Kelly (Marillion) (55)
- 1977 - Gerald Way (My Chemical Romance) (39)
- 1978 - Rachel Stevens (S Club) (38)
- 1980 - Albert Hammond, Jr. (Strokes) (36)
- 1987 - Jesse McCarthy (26)
- 2000 - Jackie Evancho (16)
- 1976 - Phil Ochs - Suicide (35)
- 1988 - Dave Prater (Sam & Dave) - Car accident (50)
- 1988 - Brook Benton - Complications of spinal meningitis (56)
- 1990 - Darrell Glenn (54)
- 1997 - Mae Boren Axton (co-writer of Heartbreak Hotel) - Heart attack (82)
- 2009 - Randy Cain (Delfonics, Blue Magic) (63)
- 2009 - Tom Patton (manager of Bay City Rollers) - Heart attack (70)
- 2013 - Emilio Pericoli (85)
- 1956 - Nat King Cole was beaten during a concert in Birmingham, AL by racial segregationists.
- 1958 - Bill Haley & the Comets started a South American tour in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 1964 - Capitol Records won a suit against VeeJay Records to release the Beatles' music in the U.S.
- 1965 - Bruce Johnston replaced Brian Wilson in the Beach Boys.
- 1966 - Jeff Beck collapsed during a Yardbirds show in Marseilles, France.
- 1969 - King Crimson and Emerson, Lake and Palmer performed live for the first time in London.
- 1970 - Paul McCartney inserted a letter in the promo copies of his album McCartney that were sent to the press in the U.K. formally announcing his leaving the Beatles.
- 1970 - Pink Floyd started their second U.S. tour at the Fillmore East.
- 1973 - Queen, who had just signed their first recording contract, played their first live show in a showcase for their label at London's Marquee Club.
- 1974 - The Jackson 5 opened a 15-night stand at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
- 1974 - Bruce Springsteen is introduced to Jon Landau who will become his manager.
- 1981 - The Sam Goody record chain was convicted for sales of pirated tapes.
- 1981 - The Carl Perkins Museum opened in Jackson, TN.
- 1989 - Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones said he would be marrying 19-year-old Mandy Smith with whom he said he had been with for six years.
- 1997 - A&M records issued a statement saying that Soundgarden had disbanded.
- 1998 - Michael Jackson was awarded $2.7 million in a suit against the TV show Hard Copy.
- 1998 - A public memorial is held for Tammy Wynette at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville with performances by Lorrie Morgan, Randy Travis, the Judds, Dolly Parton and others.
- 1998 - George Michael was arrested for alleged lewd conduct in Will Rogers Park, Beverly Hills, CA.
- 1999 - Faith Hill's first solo tour opened in Minneapolis, MN.
- 2002 - Eminem paid a man he had hit in the face with an unloaded handgun $100,000 to settle a lawsuit.
- 2003 - Paul McCartney played his first show in Manchester in 24 years. On this same day, he purchased the Carl Perkins song catalog.
- 2004 - Jimmy Buffett wins a lawsuit against a Maryland hamburger stand who named their restaurant Cheeseburgers 'n' Paradise.
- 2004 - Vince Neil of Motley Crue plead no contest to the charge that he assaulted a prostitute at the Moonlite Bunny Ranch.
- 2004 - The parents of Weird Al Yankovic died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their home.
- 2007 - Tanya Tucker was sued for $300,000 by her manicurist who was allegedly bitten by the singer's dog.
- 2007 - Rascal Flatts, Loretta Lynn and Jars of Clay were the honorees at the Recording Academy Honors.
- 1994 - Wayne Newton and Kathleen McCrone
- 2012 - Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez
- 1956 - Be Bop-a-Lula - Gene Vincent
- 1965 - Ticket to Ride - Beatles (single, U.K. release)
- 1969 - Nashville Skyline - Bob Dylan
- 1973 - My Love - Paul McCartney (single, U.S. release)
- 1984 - Reckoning - R.E.M.
- 1990 - Cradle of Love - Billy Idol (single)
- 1962 - Academy Awards
- Original Song - Moon River - Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer
- Dramatic or Comdey Score - Breakfast at Tiffany's - Henry Mancini
- 1963 - Tuesday Rendezvous (ITV U.K.) - Beatles
- 1965 - Ready Steady Go (U.K.) - Rolling Stones
- 1977 - American Bandstand (ABC) - Shaun Cassidy
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1966 - (You're My) Soul & Inspiration - Righteous Brothers (3 weeks)
- 1977 - Dancing Queen - ABBA (1 week)
- 1988 - Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car - Billy Ocean (2 weeks)
- 1983 - Let's Dance - David Bowie (3 weeks)
- 1988 - Heart - Pet Shop Boys (3 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1994 - The Division Bell - Pink Floyd (4 weeks)
- 2006 - Ringleader of the Tormentors - Morrissey (1 week)