- 1908 - Percy Faith (d. 1976)
- 1915 - Billie Holiday (d. 1959)
- 1920 - Ravi Shankar (d. 2012)
- 1922 - Mongo Santamaria (d. 2003)
- 1932 - Cal Smith (d. 2013)
- 1935 - Bobby Bare (81)
- 1937 - Charlie Thomas (Drifters) (79)
- 1938 - Freddie Hubbard (d. 2008)
- 1938 - Spencer Dryden (Jefferson Airplane) (d. 2005)
- 1943 - Mick Abrahams (Blodwyn Pig, Jethro Tull) (73)
- 1943 - Alan Buck (Four Pennies) (73)
- 1947 - Patricia Bennett (Chiffons) (69)
- 1947 - Florian Schneider (Kraftwerk) (69)
- 1947 - Charles "Skip" Pitts (d. 2012)
- 1948 - Carol Douglas (68)
- 1949 - John Oates (67)
- 1950 - Steve Ellis (Love Affair) (66)
- 1951 - Janis Ian (65)
- 1951 - Bruce Gary (Knack) (d. 2006)
- 1957 - Simon Climie (Climie Fisher) (59)
- 1978 - Duncan James (born Duncan Inglis) (Blue) (38)
- 1981 - Kit Lambert (Manager of the Who, record producer) (Cerebral hemorrhage) (45)
- 1994 - Lee Brilleaux (Dr. Feelgood) (Lymphoma) (41)
- 2000 - Heinz Burt (Tornadoes) (57)
- 2013 - Andy Johns (sound engineer, producer) (Stomach ulcer) (62)
- 1962 - Mick Jagger and Keith Richards met Brian Jones at the Ealing Jazz Club.
- 1962 - Bobby Rydell was cast as Hugo in the film version of Bye Bye Birdie.
- 1967 - Sonny & Cher's film Good Times premiered in Chicago.
- 1975 - Ritchie Blackmore quit Deep Purple to form Rainbow.
- 1979 - The California Music Festival was held with Aerosmith, the Boomtown Rats, Cheap Trick, Ted Nugent and Van Halen.
- 1981 - Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band opened their first full scale tour outside the U.S. in Hamburg, Germany.
- 1985 - Wham! performed in Beijing, becoming the first western pop group to play in China.
- 1985 - Prince played the final show of a tour in Miami, saying he was done with live performing for "an indeterminate number of years."
- 1988 - Alice Cooper accidentally hung himself when a safety rope snapped during a rehearsal for his European tour.
- 1990 - Tommy Lee of Motley Crue fell 20 feet off of a lighting rig during a show.
- 1990 - Farm Aid IV was held in Indianapolis, IN with Bonnie Raitt, John Mellencamp, John Hiatt, Carl Perkins, Arlo Guthrie, Gorky Park, Garth Brooks, John Denver, Bill Monroe, Alan Jackson, Asleep at the Wheel, Jackson Browne, Bruce Hornsby, Poco, Elton John, Lou Reed, Don Henley, Taj Mahal, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Neil Young, Willie Nelson, Guns N' Roses and KT Oslin. Steven Adler played his last show with Guns N' Roses.
- 1994 - Courtney Love was arrested for drugs and theft charges. Unknown to her was that her husband, Kurt Cobain, had committed suicide.
- 1994 - Percy Sledge plead guilty to tax evasion and was sentenced to six months in a halfway house.
- 1995 - A gun is confiscated from Eddie Van Halen's carry on luggage.
- 1998 - George Michael was arrested in a Los Angeles park for a sex act in a public toilet.
- 1998 - Sonny Bono's widow, Mary Bono won a special election to fill her husband's seat in congress.
- 2001 - Paul McCartney bought Courtney Love's house in Beverly Hills.
- 2003 - Dirk Lance left Incubus.
- 2004 - Prince and his bodyguard are sued by a college student after the bodyguard tried to stop the boy from taking a picture of the singer.
- 2005 - Nicky Wire of Manic Street Preachers received an honorary doctorate from Swansea University.
- 2008 - Olivia Newton-John started a walk that would span the 141-mile length of the Great Wall of China to raise funds for cancer research.
- 2008 - Bob Dylan received an honorary Pulitzer Prize for his impact on music and culture.
- 2009 - Rock of Ages, with music from the 80's, opens on Broadway.
- 2010 - Carlos Santana announced his upcoming covers album.
- 1920 - Jimmie Rodgers and Carrie Williamson
- 1979 - Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell
- 1997 - Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit
- 2003 - Russell Crowe (30 Odd Foot of Grunt) and Danielle Spencer
- 1959 - El Paso, Big Iron - Marty Robbins
- 1960 - Everybody's Somebody's Fool - Connie Francis
- 1958 - Twilight Time - Platters (single)
- 1997 - Dig Your Own Hole - Chemical Brothers
- 1970 - Academy Awards
- Original Song - Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head - Burt Bacharach & Hal David
- 1956 - Alan Freed's Rock 'n' Roll Dance Party premiered on CBS.
- 1956 - Stage Show (CBS) - Platters (national television debut)
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1945 - My Dreams Are Getting Better All the Time - Les Brown (7 weeks)
- 1962 - Johnny Angel - Shelley Fabares (2 weeks)
- 1973 - The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia - Vicki Lawrence (2 weeks)
- 1979 - I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor (1 week)
- 1990 - Love Will Lead You Back - Taylor Dayne (1 week)
- 2001 - Butterfly - Crazy Town (1 week)
- 2007 - Don't Matter - Akon (2 weeks)
- 1962 (stereo) - Blue Hawaii - Elvis Presley (1 week)
- 1973 - Lady Sings the Blues - Diana Ross (2 weeks)
- 1979 - Minute by Minute - Doobie Brothers (2 weeks)
- 1990 - Nick of Time - Bonnie Raitt (2 weeks)
- 2007 - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank - Modest Mouse (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
Number Ones - U.K. Albums: