- 1925 - Johnny Horton (d. 1960)
- 1934 - Richard Shoff (Sandpipers) (81)
- 1940 - Darrell McCall (Little Dippers, country singer) (75)
- 1941 - Johnny Farina (Santo & Johnny) (74)
- 1943 - Bobby Vee (72)
- 1948 - Wayne Kramer (MC5) (67)
- 1951 - Des Tong (Sad Cafe) (64)
- 1953 - Merrill Osmond (Osmonds) (62)
- 1956 - Terry Gregory (60)
- 1962 - Robert Reynolds (Mavericks) (53)
- 1967 - J.R. Richards (Dishwalla) (48)
- 1967 - Turbo B (born Durron Butler) (Snap!) (48)
- 1971 - Darren Emerson (Underworld) (44)
- 1971 - Carolyn Dawn Johnson (44)
- 1973 - Jeff Timmons (98 Degrees) (42)
- 1976 - Amanda Palmer (Dresden Dolls) (39)
- 1982 - Lloyd Banks (born Christopher Lloyd) (G-Unit) (33)
- 1982 - Cleo Higgins (Cinderella) (33)
- 1989 - Baauer (born Harry Bauer Rodrigues) (27)
- 1966 - Richard Farina - Motorcycle accident (29)
- 1982 - Lester Bangs (music journalist) - Heart attack (33)
- 1983 - Muddy Waters - Heart failure (70)
- 1999 - Darrell Sweet (Nazareth) - Heart attack (52)
- 2005 - Norma-Jean Wofford (guitarist with Bo Diddley) (~53)
- 2007 - Zola Taylor (Platters) - Pneumonia (69)
- 1953 - Frank Sinatra and Nelson Riddle teamed up for the first time.
- 1965 - The Kinks began their first tour of the U.K.
- 1965 - Herman's Hermits began their first U.S. tour with the Zombies opening.
- 1968 - The Cilla Black Show debuted on the BBC.
- 1970 - The Allman Brothers road manager, Twigs Lyndon, was arrested for killing a club manager during an argument over a contract. He was eventually acquitted.
- 1976 - It was reported that Keith Moon paid nine cab drivers to block off a New York city street while he through the contents of his hotel room out the window.
- 1980 - The film McVicar, with Roger Daltrey, premiered in London.
- 1983 - The original members of Manfred Mann reunited in London for a show.
- 1988 - Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd fell out of the Billboard Top 200 after 725 weeks.
- 1991 - Nirvana signed with DGC records.
- 1999 - Three former members of Spandau Ballet lost a case against songwriter Gary Kemp over unpaid royalties.
- 2001 - An small aircraft carrying Sting, a friend and two pilots slid off the runway in Florence, Italy after the brakes failed.
- 2004 - New child abuse charges were brought against Michael Jackson.
- 2004 - Ray Charles' RPM International Recording Studio was declared a historic landmark.
- 2004 - Courtney Love plead not guilty to two counts of drug possession.
- 2005 - The Dave Matthews Band were forced to pay $200,000 to the city of Chicago for the dumping of the waste tank from their tour bus into a city river and onto tourists on a boat.
- 2005 - Cher ended her three-year long farewell tour.
- 2008 - Roger Waters' giant inflatable pig floated away during his show at the Coachella Festival.
- 2014 - Wilko Johnson had lifesaving surgery for pancreatic cancer.
- 1995 - Rosanne Cash and John Leventhal
- 1998 - Ronan Keating (Boyzone) and Yvonne Connolly
- 2008 - Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon
- 1957 - Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
- 1960 - Walking to New Orleans - Fats Domino
- 1954 - Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight - McGuire Sisters (single)
- 1973 - Red Rose Speedway - Paul McCartney
- 1976 - Silly Love Songs - Wings (U.K. single release)
- 1987 - Help!, Rubber Soul & Revolver - Beatles (first release on CD)
- 1990 - The Dance - Garth Brooks (single)
- 2002 - Be Not Nobody - Vanessa Carlton (debut album)
- 1997 - Ellen (ABC) - Dwight Yoakam
- 1955 - Cherry Pink (and Apple Blossom White) - Perez Prado (10 weeks)
- 1966 - Good Lovin' - Young Rascals (1 week)
- 1977 - Southern Nights - Glen Campbell (1 week)
- 1983 - Beat It - Michael Jackson (3 weeks)
Number Ones - U.S. Albums:
- 1960 - Percussive Percussion - Enoch Light/Terry Snyder & the All-Stars (Stereo Chart) (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
- 1954 - Such a Night - Johnnie Ray (1 week)
- 1983 - True - Spandau Ballet (4 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1966 - Aftermath - Rolling Stones (8 weeks)
- 1988 - The Innocents - Erasure (1 week)