Almanac: April 26, 2016
- 1886 - Ma Rainey (d. 1939)
- 1925 - Jorgen Ingmann (d. 2015)
- 1932 - Francis Lai (84)
- 1933 - Johnny Mosby (Johnny & Jonie Mosby) (83)
- 1938 - Duane Eddy (78)
- 1938 - Maurice Williams (Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs) (78)
- 1940 - Giorgio Moroder (76)
- 1941 - Claudine Clark (75)
- 1942 - Bobby Rydell (74)
- 1945 - Tony Murray (Troggs) (71)
- 1945 - Gary Wright (Spooky Tooth) (71)
- 1946 - John "Bucky" Wilkin (Ronny & the Daytonas) (70)
- 1949 - Jimmy Hall (Wet Willie) (67)
- 1951 - Nick Garvey (Motors) (65)
- 1952 - Noel Davies (Selecter) (64)
- 1960 - Roger Taylor (Duran Duran) (56)
- 1961 - Chris Mars (Replacement) (55)
- 1966 - Jeff Huskins (Little Texas) (50)
- 1970 - T-Boz (born Tionne Watkins) (TLC) (46)
- 1970 - Ruth Anne Boyle (Olive) (46)
- 1971 - Jay DeMarcus (Rascal Flatts) (45)
- 1975 - Joey Jordison (Slipknot) (41)
- 1975 - Nerina Pallot (41)
- 1976 - Jose Antonio Pasillas II (Incubus) (40)
- 1978 - Avant (born Myron Avant) (38)
- 1981 - Ms. Dynamite (born Niomi Delaney) (35)
- 1982 - Jon Lee (S Club 7) (34)
- 1974 - Vernon Tim Spencer (Sons of the Pioneers) (65)
- 1984 - Count Basie - Pancreatic cancer (79)
- 1997 - Ernest Stewart (K.C. & the Sunshine Band) - Asthma attack
- 2011 - Phoebe Snow (born Phoebe Laub) - Complications of cerebral hemorrhage (60)
- 2011 - John Cossette (producer of Grammy Awards broadcast) (54)
- 2013 - George Jones - Respiratory failure (81)
- 1960 - The filming for Elvis Presley's movie G.I. Blues began.
- 1964 - The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Gerry & the Pacemakers, Brian Poole & Cliff Richard appear at the NME poll-winner's concert.
- 1967 - The special Inside Pop: The Rock Revolution aired on CBS.
- 1967 - Mama Cass Elliott gave birth to daughter Owen Vanessa.
- 1977 - Studio 54 opened in New York.
- 1978 - Ringo Starr's version of The Prince and the Pauper, Ringo, aired in the U.S.
- 1980 - The Carpenters' special Music Music Music aired on ABC.
- 1982 - Rod Stewart has his Porsche carjacked on Hollywood Boulevard.
- 1984 - A new statue of the Beatles was unveiled at the Cavern Walks shopping center in Liverpool by Mike McCartney.
- 1988 - Mick Jagger won an acquittal in a lawsuit saying he had stolen the song Just Another Night from reggae singer Patrick Alley.
- 1990 - Danny Wood of New Kids on the Block injured his ankle when he tripped over a toy that had been thrown on stage during a show in Manchester, England.
- 1994 - Grace Slick plead guilty to pointing a gun at a police officer in her California home. She received a sentence of 200 hours of community service and four alcoholic anonymous meetings a week for three months.
- 2003 - David Lee Roth detained a man with a knife who had broken into his Southern California estate.
- 2008 - Kenny Chesney gets his foot caught between the hydraulic lift and the stage during his show in Columbia, SC. Although he injured the foot, he finished the show.
- 2014 - Paul Simon and Edie Brickell were arrested for disorderly conduct after an altercation at their home.
- 1992 - Ice Cube and Kimberly Woodruff
- 1941 - Walking the Floor Over You - Ernest Tubb
- 1957 - Short Fat Fannie - Larry Williams
- 1962 - Having a Party, Bring It On Home to Me - Sam Cooke
- 1980 - Mirror in the Bathroom - The Beat (first digitally recorded single released in the U.K.)
- 1970 - Raquel! (NBC) - Tom Jones
- 1978 - Ringo (NBC) - Ringo Starr
- 2003 - The Agency (CBS) - David Cassidy
- 2012 - 30 Rock (NBC) - Paul McCartney (live broadcast)
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1975 - (Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song - B.J. Thomas (1 week)
- 1958 - The Music Man - Original Cast (4 weeks)
- 1969 - Hair - Original Cast (13 weeks)
- 1986 - 5150 - Van Halen (3 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
- 1969 - Get Back - Beatles with Billy Preston (6 weeks)
- 1980 - Call Me - Blondie (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1958 - The Duke Wore Jeans - Soundtrack (2 weeks)
- 1969 - Goodbye - Cream (1 week, 3 previous weeks at number 1)
- 1986 - Street Life: 20 Great Hits - Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music (5 weeks)
- 1997 - Ultra - Depeche Mode (1 week)