Almanac: April 22, 2016
- 1919 - Bull Moose Jackson (d. 1989)
- 1922 - Lou Stein (d. 2002)
- 1922 - Charles Mingus (d. 1979)
- 1926 - Bob Flanigan (Four Freshman) (d. 2011)
- 1927 - Laurel Aitken (d. 2005)
- 1935 - W. S. "Fluke" Holland (Tennessee Three) (81)
- 1936 - Glen Campbell (80)
- 1937 - Jack Nitzsche (d. 2000)
- 1939 - Mel Carter (77)
- 1939 - Simon Napier (manager/producer/songwriter) (77)
- 1940 - Ray Griff (76)
- 1944 - Howard Wyeth (Bob Dylan, Robert Gordon) (d. 1996)
- 1945 - Pat Enright (Nashville Bluegrass Band) (71)
- 1948 - Larry Groce (68)
- 1950 - Peter Frampton (66)
- 1950 - Pete Car (Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section) (66)
- 1951 - Paul Carrack (Ace, Squeeze, Mike + the Mechanics) (65)
- 1955 - Arthur Baker (producer/DJ) (61)
- 1956 - Kenny Lyons (Lemonheads, NOFX) (60)
- 1967 - Heath Wright (Ricochet) (49)
- 1969 - Craig Logan (Bros) (47)
- 1971 - Kellie Coffey (45)
- 1974 - Shavo Odadjian (System of a Down) (42)
- 1978 - Aaron Fink (born Aaron Fincke) (Breaking Benjamin) (38)
- 1978 - Jason Stollsteimer (Von Bondies) (38)
- 1979 - Daniel Johns (Silverchair) (37)
- 1984 - Amelle Berrabah (Sugarbabes) (32)
- 1968 - Stephen H. Sholes (RCA executive, member of the Country Music Hall of Fame) - Heart attack (57)
- 1983 - Earl "Fatha" Hines (79)
- 2003 - Felice Bryant (born Matilda Scaduto) (songwriter) (77)
- 2013 - Richie Havens - Heart attack (72)
On This Day:
- 1956 - Elvis Presley made his Las Vegas debut at the Frontier Hotel.
- 1957 - Elvis Presley's "music gates" were installed at Graceland.
- 1962 - Jerry Lee Lewis' three-year-old son drowned in a pool accident.
- 1963 - Gene Vincent contract at Capitol ended.
- 1969 - The Who performed Tommy live for the first time.
- 1969 - The Carpenters signed with A&M records.
- 1969 - John Lennon changed his middle name from Winston to Ono.
- 1974 - Tina Turner started filming her role of the Acid Queen in Tommy.
- 1978 - Bob Marley played for the first time in Jamaica since being wounded in a shooting.
- 1979 - The Rolling Stones performed two free concerts in Toronto to benefit the blind as part of the satisfying of the sentence for Keith Richard's heroin charges.
- 1989 - Clint Black made his Grand Ole Opry debut.
- 1990 - An estimated 750,000 people attended the free Earth Day concert in Central Park with Hall & Oates, Eddie Brickell, the B-52's and Ben E. King.
- 1991 - The Dave Matthews Band played live for the first time in Charlottesville, VA.
- 1998 - Faith No More announced they were splitting.
- 1999 - Marilyn Manson released a statement of condolence to the families of the victims at Columbine High School. His music was allegedly an influence on the shooters.
- 2004 - It was reported that the U.S. military was blasting music at insurgents in Iraq to drive them from their positions. Songs include AC/DC's Shoot to Thrill.
- 2004 - James Hetfield of Metallica did NOT commit suicide no matter what the internet told people.
- 2010 - Bret Michaels was rushed to a hospital where it was found he was suffering from a brain hemorrhage.
- 2011 - The Pistol Annies made their debut on an ACM special.
- 2014 - Ronnie Milsap, Mac Wiseman and Hank Cochran were announced as the newest inductees in the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- 2011 - LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian
- 1964 - I'm on the Outside Looking In - Little Anthony and the Imperials
- 1966 - Wild Thing - Troggs (single)
- 1985 - Around The World In a Day - Prince
- 2008 - Good to Be Bad - Whitesnake
- 1968 - Herb Alpert Special
- 1978 - Saturday Night Live (NBC) - First appearance of the Blues Brothers (Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi)
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1944 - It's Love Love Love - Guy Lombardo (2 weeks)
- 1950 - If I Knew You Were Comin' (I'd've Baked a Cake) - Eileen Barton (2 weeks)
- 1989 - Like a Prayer - Madonna (3 weeks)
Number Ones - U.S. Albums:
- 1989 - Like a Prayer - Madonna (6 weeks)
- 2006 - Me & the Gang - Rascal Flatts (3 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
- 1965 - Ticket to Ride - Beatles (4 weeks)
- 2001 - Survivor - Destiny's Child (1 week)
- 2007 - Beautiful Liar - Beyonce & Shakira (3 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1972 - Machine Head - Deep Purple (2 weeks)
- 1990 - Only Yesterday: Their Greatest Hits - Carpenters (5 weeks (1 previous week))
- 1995 - Picture This - Wet Wet Wet (3 weeks)
- 2007 - The Best Damn Thing - Avril Lavigne (1 week)