- 1928 - Alexis Korner (d. 1984)
- 1929 - Don Barbour (Four Freshman) (d. )
- 1934 - Dickie Goodman (d. 1989)
- 1936 - Ruby Johnson (d. 1999)
- 1940 - Genya Ravan (Ten Wheel Drive) (76)
- 1940 - Bobby Russell (d. 1992)
- 1942 - Alan Price (Animals) (74)
- 1943 - Mike Kelly (Duprees) (73)
- 1943 - Eve Graham (New Seekers) (73)
- 1944 - Bernie Worrell (Parliament-Funkadelic) (72)
- 1947 - Mark Volman (Turtles) (69)
- 1949 - Big Youth (born Manley Buchanan) (67)
- 1953 - Rod Morgenstein (Winger) (63)
- 1955 - Andy Shernoff (Dictators) (61)
- 1957 - Belinda Lipscomb (Midnight Star) (59)
- 1967 - Dar Williams (49)
- 1968 - Bekka Bramlett (48)
- 1970 - Luis Miguel (46)
- 1976 - Ruud Jolie (Within Temptation) (40)
- 1993 - Steve Douglas (born Steven Kreisman) (saxophonist with Phil Spector's Wall of Sound) - Heart failure (55)
- 1994 - Larry Davis - Cancer (57)
- 1997 - El Duce (born Eldon Hoke) (Mentors) - Accidentally hit by train (39)
- 2003 - Cholly Atkins (choreographer for Motown) - Cancer (89)
- 2010 - Guru (born Keith Elam) (Gang Star) - Cancer (48)
- 2012 - Levon Helm (Band) - Cancer (71)
- 2012 - Greg Ham (Men at Work) (58)
- 1956 - Clyde McPhatter is released from the military.
- 1960 - Because of his recent near-airplane crash, Elvis Presley decides to take a train from Memphis to Los Angeles to film G.I. Blues.
- 1965 - The film The T.A.M.I. Show opened in London under the name Teenage Command Performance. Included were performances by The Rolling Stones, Supremes, Four Tops, James Brown, The Beach Boys and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles.
- 1979 - David Lee Roth collapsed from exhaustion at a Spokane, WA Van Halen show.
- 1980 - Brian Johnson replaced Bon Scott in AC/DC.
- 1980 - For the first time, the top five on the U.S. country singles chart were all by female vocalists (Crystal Gayle, Dottie West, Debbie Boone, Emmylou Harris, Tammy Wynette)
- 1980 - R.E.M. played their first show under the name R.E.M.
- 1988 - Sonny Bono was sworn in as mayor of Palm Springs, CA.
- 1990 - ABC aired the film Summer Dreams: The Story of the Beach Boys.
- 1995 - The Stone Roses played their first show in five years in Oslo, Norway.
- 2001 - David Lee Roth said that he had briefly reunited with Van Halen the previous July and wrote some new material.
- 2002 - The body of Layne Staley of Alice in Chains was found. He had been missing for two weeks.
- 2002 - Police investigated the theft of tracks for Oasis' upcoming album, Heathen Chemistry.
- 2004 - Billy Corgan played his first solo acoustic show in Chicago, IL.
- 2009 - Mike Curb received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 1978 - Stardust - Willie Nelson
- 1978 - Because the Night - Patti Smith (single)
- 1990 - Summer Dreams: The Story of the Beach Boys (ABC)
- 1990 - French & Saunders (BBC) - Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, Lemmy, Mark King, Gary Moore
- 2006 - The McCartneys vs. the Fur Trade (BBC)
Number Ones - U.S. Singles:
- 1980 - Call Me - Blondie (6 weeks)
- 1986 - Kiss - Prince & the Revolution (2 weeks)
- 2008 - Troubadour - George Strait (1 week)
Number Ones - U.K. Singles:
- 1969 - Israelites - Desmond Dekker & the Aces (1 week)
- 1986 - A Different Corner - George Michael (3 weeks)
Number Ones - U.K. Albums:
- 1969 - Best of the Seekers - Seekers (1 week, 4 previous weeks at number 1)
- 1975 - Best of the Stylistics - Stylistics (2 weeks)
- 1980 - Greatest Hits - Rose Royce (2 weeks)