Tom Petty's short-lived early 70's band Mudcrutch was resurrected in 2008 to release their first and do a brief tour. In May, they will released their second set and will promote it on a longer tour of the U.S.
Mudcructch was started in 1970 by a young Tom Petty and Tom Leadon who had been playing together in the group the Epics. They released one single, Up in Mississippi Tonight on the Pepper label in 1971 and, after some reshuffling of personnel that saw Leadon leave and Benmont Tench join, a second single, Depot Street, on Shelter.
After the second single failed to make waves, the band broke up and Petty, Tench and Mudcrutch guitarist Mike Campbell went on to form The Heartbreakers but, in 2007, the band reformed with Petty, Campbell, Tench, Leadon and Randall Marsh. Their official first album, Mudcrutch, was released the next year and debuted at number 8 on the Billboard 200.
On May 20, Mudcrutch will release their second album, appropriately titled 2, on Reprise records with production by Petty, Campbell and Ryan Ulyate.
The track list:
- Dreams of Flying
- Beautiful Blue
- Beautiful World
- I Forgive It All
- The Other Side of the Mountain
- Welcome to Hell
- Save Your Water
- Victim of Circumstance
- Hungry No More
- 05/26 - Denver, CO - Ogden Theater
- 05/29 - Chillicothe, IL - Summer Camp Music Festival
- 05/31 - Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
- 06/02 - Atlanta, GA - The Tabernacle
- 06/03 - Cincinnati, OH - Bunbury Music Festival
- 06/06 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
- 06/07 - Philadelphia, PA - The Fillmore
- 06/10 - New York, NY - Webster Hall
- 06/11 - New York, NY - Webster Hall
- 06/14 - Port Chester, NY - Capitol Theater
- 06/15 - Boston, MA - House of Blues
- 06/19 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
- 06/20 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
- 06/25 - Los Angeles, CA - The Fonda
- 06/26 - Los Angeles, CA - The Fonda
- 06/28 - Santa Ana, CA - The Observatory