The reunited original Santana band took to the stage on Monday night at the House of Blues in Las Vegas to blow the crowd away with classics from their three albums between 1969 and 1971 along with a trio of songs from the upcoming Santana IV.
Carlos Santana initially took the stage with keyboard player and vocalist Gregg Rolie, percussionist Michael Carbello and drummer Michael Shrieve to play the Woodstock anthem Soul Sacrafice. They followed with Evil Ways before bringing guitarist Neil Schon to the stage, calling him the person responsible for putting the reunion together. Schon was only part of the band for 1971's Santana III, having joined the group at the age of 15.
The band continued with two more from their classic era before leaving the stage. When they returned, they were joined by Ronald Isley of the Isley Brothers for two songs from the new album before finishing off with Toussaint L'Overture from Santana III.
The show was billed as both a warm-up show and a taping for a TV special that will be shown later in the year.
The set list:
- Soul Sacrifice (from Santana, 1969)
- Evil Ways (from Santana, 1969)
- Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen (from Abraxas, 1970)
- Oye como va (from Abraxas, 1970)
- Love Makes the World Go 'Round (with Ronald Isley) (from Santana IV, 2016)
- Freedom in Your Mind (with Ronald Isley) (from Santana IV, 2016)
- Toussaint L'Ouverture (from Santana III, 1971)