David Bowie's Blackstar remains the biggest selling album by a veteran artist in the U.S. again this week even though it drops from 22 to 34.
In another week of few album releases, the highest debuting album by a veteran artist belongs to Rick Springfield whose Rocket Science starts at 69. This is the second general release album in a row for Springfield that has not done as well as it's predecessor. 2008's Venus in Overdrive debuted at 28 while 2012's Songs For the End of the World started at 44. Rick also had a Christmas and a children's album released during that period of time that did not chart.
Sister Hazel's new album, Lighter in the Dark, opens at 79, one spot higher than their last release, 2010's Heartland Highway. Their highest charting album in the U.S. was 2009's Release which went to 37.
Carole King's Tapestry leaps back on the charts this week at 80 in reaction to the great PBS special that aired the week before on her life.
Down at 117 is the debut of the Foo Fighters' Saint Cecelia EP. Originally released as a free download on November 23, 2015 as a sign of solidarity with the victims of the Paris terrorist attack, it has now been made commercially available. While 117 may seem like a poor start for a Foo Fighters release, it is, in fact, the first of their four commercially available EP's to hit the charts.
At 188 is the debut release of Last in Line, Heavy Crown. The band is made up of former members of Dio including Vinny Appice, Jimmy Bain, Viv Campbell and Claude Schnell along with vocalist Andrew Freeman.
The top ten albums this week by veteran artists:
- Blackstar - David Bowie
- Best of Bowie - David Bowie
- The Very Best of the Eagles - Eagles
- Rocket Science - Rick Springfield
- Metallica (Black Album) - Metallica
- Lighter in the Dark - Sister Hazel
- Tapestry - Carole King
- Greatest Hits - 2Pac
- Down to My Last Bad Habit - Vince Gill
- The Eminem Show - Eminem
- 25 - Adele
- Anti - Rihanna
- Purpose - Justin Bieber
- The Art of the Hustle - Yo Gotti
- Traveller - Chris Stapleton
- Work - Rihanna Featuring Drake
- Love Yourself - Justin Bieber
- Stressed Out - twenty one pilots
- Sorry - Justin Bieber
- My House - Flo Rida
- Tastemaker Albums - Blackstar - David Bowie
- Heatseaker Albums - Heavy Crown - Last in Line
- Blues Albums - Let Me Get By - Tedeschi Trucks Band
- Jazz Albums - Ultimate Sinatra - Frank Sinatra
- New Age Albums - Dark Sky Island - Enya
- Tropical Albums - 3.0 - Marc Anthony
- Country Airplay - Break on Me. - Keith Urban
- Adult R&B Songs - Angel - Lalah Hathaway
- Dance Club Songs - True Original - Dave Aude Featuring Andy Bell
- Christian Songs - Good Good Father - Chris Tomlin
- Christian Digital Songs - Good Good Father - Chris Tomlin
- Gospel Songs - Wanna Be Happy? - Kirk Franklin