Almanac: March 8, 2016
On This Day
- 1922 - Johnny Dollar (d. 1986)
- 1937 - Richard Farina (d. 1966)
- 1942 - Ralph Ellis (Swinging Blue Jeans) (74)
- 1943 - Shel Macrae (Fortunes) (73)
- 1945 - Micky Dolenz (Monkees) (71)
- 1946 - Randy Meisner (Eagles) (70)
- 1947 - Carol Bayer Sager (69)
- 1947 - Michael Allsup (Three Dog Night) (69)
- 1948 - Peggy March (68)
- 1948 - Mel Galley (Whitesnake, Trapeze) (d. 2008)
- 1949 - Dave Lambert (Strawbs) (67)
- 1954 - Cheryl Baker (Bucks Fizz) (62)
- 1957 - Clive Burr (Iron Maiden) (d. 2013)
- 1958 - Gary Numan (born Gary Webb) (58)
- 1960 - Richard Darbyshire (Living in a Box) (56)
- 1962 - Steve Grantley (Stiff Little Fingers, Alarm) (54)
- 1964 - Peter Gill (Frankie Goes to Hollywood) (52)
- 1966 - Salt (born Cheryl James) (Salt-n-Pepa) (50)
- 1968 - Shawn Mullins (48)
- 1975 - Andy Ross (OK Go) (41)
- 1976 - Gaz Coombes (Supergrass) (40)
- 1979 - Tom Chaplin (Keane) (37)
- 1988 - Eleanor Jackson (La Roux) (28)
- 1990 - Kristinia DeBarge (26)
- 1973 - Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (Grateful Dead) - Gastrointestinal hemorrhage (27)
- 1989 - Hank Locklin (91)
- 1989 - Stuart Hamblen - Brain cancer (80)
- 1995 - Ingo Schwichtenberg (Helloween) - Suicide (29)
- 2003 - Adam Faith (born Terrence Nelhams-Wright) - Heart attack (62)
- 2005 - Gordon Spaeth (Fleshtones) (53)
- 2011 - Mike Starr (Alice in Chains) - Possible prescription drug overdose (44)
- 2012 - Jimmy Ellis (Trammps) - Alzheimer's disease (74)
- 2015 - Lew Soloff (Blood, Sweat & Tears) - Heart attack (71)
- 1966 - Lulu became the first British female vocalist to tour behind the Iron Curtain when she went on the road with the Hollies.
- 1968 - The Fillmore East opened in New York.
- 1968 - Stay Away Joe with Elvis Presley premiers.
- 1969 - Steve Marriott left the Small Faces and the band split up.
- 1970 - Diana Ross made her solo debut in Framingham, Massachusetts
- 1973 - Paul McCartney was given a $170 fine for growing marijuana on his farm.
- 1974 - Bad Company opened their first British tour in Newcastle.
- 1987 - Bob Seger told an audience that it was his last tour.
- 1999 - Former manager Bill Sammeth sues Cher for 15% of proceeds from Believe which he says masterminded before being fired.
- 2001 - Courtney Love announces the forming of a new band, Bastard.
- 2003 - Mark Knopfler was in an accident while riding his motorcycle.
- 2004 - Jack White was sentenced to probation and anger management therapy for attacking the lead singer of the Van Bondies.
- 2004 - Bryan McFadden announced he was leaving Westlife.
- 2004 - Todd Harrell of 3 Doors Down was accused of assault after fighting with a newspaper deliveryman.
- 2004 - Courtney Love was charged with disorderly conduct in a 2003 drug arrest.
- 2011 - Phil Collins announced his retirement.
- 1966 - Just Like a Woman - Bob Dylan
- 1974 - Annie's Song, Thank God I'm a Country Boy - John Denver
- 1968 - Wheels of Fire - Cream (live tracks)
- 1965 - Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan (single)
- 1980 - I Me Mine - George Harrison (book)
- 2011 - Live at Shea Stadium - Billy Joel
- 1962 - Teenager's Turn (BBC Radio) - Beatles (radio debut)
- 1964 - Ed Sullivan - Dave Clark Five (first appearance)
- 1965 - Gadzooks! It's All Happening (UK) - Mannish Boys with David Bowie (Bowie's TV debut)
- 1975 - Mary Tyler Moore Show (CBS) - Carole King
- 1993 - Beavis and Butthead (MTV) (Premier)
- 2007 - American Idol - Carrie Underwood