Almanac: March 5, 2016
- 1933 - Tommy Tucker (d. 1982)
- 1938 - Paul Evans (78)
- 1946 - Murray Head (70)
- 1947 - Eddie Hodges (69)
- 1947 - Clodagh Rodgers (69)
- 1948 - Eddy Grant (68)
- 1948 - Elaine Page (68)
- 1952 - Alan Clark (Dire Straits) (64)
- 1956 - Teena Marie (d. 2010)
- 1957 - Mark E. Smith (Fall) (59)
- 1958 - Andy Gibb (d. 1988)
- 1962 - Charlie Reid (Proclaimers) (54)
- 1962 - Craig Reid (Proclaimers) (54)
- 1970 - John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers) (46)
- 1978 - Papoose (born Shamele Mackie) (38)
- 1982 - Russell Leetch (Editors) (34)
- 1993 - Jessica Tarr (Girl Authority) (23)
- 1963 - Patsy Cline - Plane crash (30)
- 1963 - Cowboy Copas - Plane crash (49)
- 1963 - Hawkshaw Hawkins - Plane crash (41)
- 1968 - Syd Nathan (started King Records) (63)
- 1973 - Michael Jeffrey (manager (Jimi Hendrix, Animals)) - Plane crash (39)
- 1982 - John Belushi (Blues Brothers) - Overdose of heroin and cocaine (33)
- 1995 - Viv Stanshall (Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band) - House fire (51)
- 1960 - Elvis Presley was discharged from the Army.
- 1968 - Jerry Lee Lewis opened in the rock musical Othello in Los Angeles.
- 1969 - The magazine Creem put out its first issue.
- 1969 - Dusty Springfield collapsed while taping a TV show.
- 1971 - Badfinger started their first U.S. tour in Toledo, OH.
- 1971 - Led Zeppelin opened a 12-date U.K. tour and performed Stairway to Heaven, Going to California and Rock and Roll for the first time live.
- 1973 - The band Wildcountry, who would later be known as Alabama, made their live debut in Myrtle Beach, SC.
- 1979 - MCA Records dissolved ABC Records which it had recently purchased.
- 1979 - The group Japan played in Japan for the first time.
- 1982 - A reformed Mamas & the Papas performed for the first time. MacKenzie Phillips and Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane were now the females of the group.
- 1994 - Grace Slick was arrested at her home for pointing a gun at police.
- 1999 - Elton John won a case against Britain's Daily Star for photographing his house guests from a distance and publishing the pictures.
- 1999 - Bush was sued for $40 million by Trauma Entertainment for not delivering a new album.
- 2000 - MC Hammer became a preacher at the Jubilee Christian Center in San Jose.
- 2003 - Massive Attack was forced to cancel an Australian tour after 3D was arrested for alleged internet child poronography.
- 2005 - Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys was arrested for DUI.
- 2008 - Lou Pearlman, manager for N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys, plead guilty to a $300 million fraud scheme over 20 years.
- 1998 - Mariah Carey and Tommy Mottola
- 2001 - Paul Stanley (Kiss) received divorce papers from his wife of nine years.
- 1963 - From Me to You - Beatles
- 1976 - One Piece at a Time - Johnny Cash
- 1965 - I Pity the Fool - Mannish Boys (with David Bowie, debut single)
- 1984 - About Face - David Gilmour
- 1986 - Guitar Town - Steve Earle
- 2002 - Full Moon - Brandy
- 2012 - Tuskegee - Lionel Richie
- 2006 - Academy Awards
- Best Song - It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp - Three 6 Mafia (from Hustle & Flow) (first rap song to win award)
- 1955 - Louisiana Hayride - Elvis Presley (TV debut)
- 1983 - American Bandstand - Wham! (U.S. TV debut)
- 1983 - The CMT Network debuted
- 2002 - The Osbournes (MTV) (debut)
- 2009 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS) - Taylor Swift