- 1937 - Dean Webb (Dillards) (81)
- 1941 - Charlie McCoy (75)
- 1945 - Chuck Portz (Turtles) (71)
- 1945 - Sally Carr (Middle of the Road) (71)
- 1948 - John Evan (Jethro Tull) (68)
- 1948 - Milan Williams (Commodores) (d. 2006)
- 1955 - Reba McEntire (61)
- 1962 - Ged Grimes (Danny Wilson, Simple Minds) (54)
- 1965 - Steve Turner (Mudhoney) (51)
- 1966 - Cheryl James (Salt of Salt 'n' Pepa) (50)
- 1968 - Jon Lee (Feeder) (d. 2002)
- 1969 - James Atkin (EMF) (47)
- 1969 - Rodney Atkins (47)
- 1973 - Matt Nathanson (43)
- 1976 - David Keuning (Killers) (40)
- 1986 - Lady Gaga (born Stefani Germanotta) (30)
- 1986 - J-Kwon (born Jerrell Jones) (30)
- 1958 - William C. Handy - Pneumonia (84)
- 1974 - Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - Stroke (69)
- 1987 - Maria Augusta Trapp - Heart failure(Trapp Family Singers) (82)
- 1995 - Jimmy McShane (Baltimora) - AIDS (37)
- 1999 - Freaky Tah (born Raymond Rogers) (Lost Boyz) - Murdered (27)
- 2001 - Moe Koffman - Cancer (73)
- 2003 - Rusty Draper - Pneumonia (80)
- 2012 - Earl Scruggs (88)
- 1958 - Buddy Holly started a 43 date tour in Brooklyn, NY at the Alan Freed Big Beat Show. Also on the bill were Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Frankie Lymon, The Diamonds, Billy Ford, Danny & The Juniors, The Chantels, Larry Williams, Screaming Jay Hawkins, The Pastels, Jo-Ann Campbell and Ed Townsend.
- 1964 - The Beatles became the first pop stars to have figures in Madame Tussauds in London.
- 1964 - Radio Caroline, the first of the pirate radio stations, began broadcasting from a Danish Ferry in the North Sea off of England.
- 1969 - Joe Cocker played his first U.S. concert.
- 1974 - The Raspberries broke up.
- 1976 - Status Quo's Francis Rossi, Rick Parfitt and Alan Lancaster were arrested in the Vienna Airport.
- 1976 - Genesis began their first North American Tour without Peter Gabriel.
- 1980 - Tom T. Hall rejoined the Grand Ole Opry.
- 1982 - David Crosby was in an auto accident on the San Diego Highway and, during the investigation, police found cocaine and a pistol in the car.
- 1992 - Ozzy Osbourne caused over $100,000 in damage to the Irvine Meadows Amphitheater in California when he invited the first two rows on stage and many more join them.
- 1996 - Phil Collins announced he was leaving Genesis for his solo career.
- 1998 - Paul Simon's The Capeman closed on Broadway.
- 2000 - Jimmy Page won a libel case against Ministry magazine after they stated that the guitarist had contributed to the death of Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham.
- 2001 - Sean Combs/Puffy/Puff Daddy announced he was changing his name to P. Diddy.
- 2005 - U2 kicked off their Vertigo tour.
- 2006 - Whitney Houston's sister-in-law, Tina Brown, sold photos to the National Enquirer of Houston's bathroom that reportedly showed drugs and drug paraphanalia.
- 2006 - The Pixies documentary loudQuietloud premiered at SXSW.
- 2014 - Tickets for Kate Bush's comeback concerts sold out in fifteen mintues
- 1948 - Nat King Cole and Maria Hawkins
- 1957 - Billie Holiday and Louis McKay
- 1995 - Lyle Lovett & Julia Roberts (separated)
- 1950 - I'm Movin' On - Hank Snow
- 1958 - Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
- 1960 - I'm Sorry - Brenda Lee
- 1966 - Green Grass - Gary Lewis & the Playboys
- 1967 - Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
- 1972 - Burning Love - Elvis Presley
- 1956 - In the Still of the Night - Five Satins (single, on original Standard Label)
- 1970 - Woodstock - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (single)
- 1981 - I Saw Her Standing There - Elton John (single, tribute to John Lennon)
- 1994 - The Division Bell - Pink Floyd
Number Ones – U.S. Singles
- 1981 - Rapture - Blondie (2 weeks)
Number Ones – U.K. Singles
- 1963 - Foot Tapper - Shadows (1 week)
- 1970 - Bridge Over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel (3 weeks)
- 1981 - This Ole' House - Shakin' Stevens (3 weeks)