- 1892 - Charlie Poole (d. 1931)
- 1932 - Juke Boy Bonner (d. 1978)
- 1936 - Roger Whittaker (80)
- 1941 - Jeremy Clyde (Chad & Jeremy) (75)
- 1943 - George Benson (73)
- 1943 - Keith Reif (Yardbirds) (d. 1976)
- 1946 - Harry Vanda (songwriter (Friday on My Mind, Love is in the Air), producer) (70)
- 1947 - Patrick Olive (Hot Chocolate) (69)
- 1948 - Andrew Lloyd Webber (68)
- 1948 - Randy Jo Hobbs (McCoys) (d. 1993)
- 1951 - Howard Reitzes (Iron Butterfly) (65)
- 1952 - Jay Dee Daugherty (Patti Smith Group) (64)
- 1957 - Stephanie Mills (59)
- 1958 - Pete Wylie (58)
- 1962 - Perry Baggs (Jason & the Scorchers) (54)
- 1963 - Susan Ann Sulley (Human League) (53)
- 1968 - Mickey Dale (Embrace) (48)
- 1970 - Andreas Johnson (46)
- 1973 - Beverley Knight (43)
- 1979 - Aaron North (Nine Inch Nails) (37)
- 1980 - Shannon Bex (Danity Kane) (36)
- 1981 - Mims (born Shawn Mims) (35)
- 1986 - Amy Studt (30)
- 1952 - Uncle Dave Macon (81)
- 1977 - Stoney Cooper (58)
- 1986 - Mark Dinning - Heart attack (52)
- 1991 - Dave Guard (Kingston Trio) - Lymphoma (56)
- 1994 - Dan Hartman - AIDS related brain tumor (43)
- 1996 - Don Murray (Turtles) - Complications from ulcer surgery (50)
- 2001 - Earl Beal (Silhouettes) (76)
- 2005 - Rod Price (Foghat) - Heart attack & injuries sustained falling down stairs (57)
- 1956 - Carl Perkins was injured in a car accident. His manager and his brother are killed. During his three-month recuperation, Elvis Presley had a hit with Blue Suede Shoes.
- 1956- Sammy Davis, Jr. opened on Broadway in Mr. Wonderful.
- 1958 - Hank Williams, Jr. made his stage debut at the age of 8 in Swainsboro, GA.
- 1962 - Barbra Streisand opened in I Can Get it For You Wholesale.
- 1967 - The Who play their first American show at the Paramount Theater in New York.
- 1971 - The Allman Brothers were arrested for possession of heroin and marijuana.
- 1974 - Ten Years After played their final show in London.
- 1978 - The Police signed with A&M records.
- 1992 - It was announced that Tears for Fears had broken up.
- 1997 - Marilyn Manson was forced to cut a show short after falling on stage and cutting an artery in his hand.
- 1999 - Ol' Dirty Bastard is stopped for driving without license plates in Brooklyn and police find three envelopes of rock cocaine.
- 2000 - A concert goer falls 90 feet to his death at a KISS concert in Oakland, CA.
- 2003 - Axl Rose sends the Offspring a cease and desist letter to stop them from calling their album Chinese Democrazy (You Snooze You Lose).
- 2004 - Marilyn Manson proposed to Dita Van Teese.
- 2006 - Aerosmith canceled an upcoming tour after Steven Tyler was hospitalized for throat surgery.
- 2011 - Marianne Faithfull was made a Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters by the French government.
- 1984 - Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sarah Brightman
- 1992 - Lou Adler and Paige Hannah
- 1948 - Nat King Cole and Nadine Robinson
- 1960 - Walk, Don't Run - Ventures
- 1961 - Raindrops - Dee Clark
- 1975 - Black & Blue - Rolling Stones (first day of recording)
- 1963 - Please Please Me - Beatles
- 1965 - Bringing It All Back Home - Bob Dylan
- 1974 - On the Border - Eagles
- 1984 - Kathy Mattea - Kathy Mattea (debut album)
- 2003 - Razzies
- Worst Film - Swept Away
- Worst Actress - Madonna - Swept Away, Britney Spears - Crossroads
- Worst Supporting Actress - Madonna - Die Another Day
- 1977 - Thank God I'm a Country Boy (ABC) - John Denver
- 1978 - All You Need is Cash - Ruttles