- 1894 - Moms Mabley (d. 1975)
- 1937 - Clarence "Frogman" Henry (79)
- 1942 - Jeff Neighbour (Joy of Cooking) (74)
- 1942 - Robin Luke (74)
- 1946 - Ruth Pointer (Pointer Sisters) (70)
- 1946 - Paul Atkinson (Zombies) (d. 2004)
- 1950 - Derek Longmuir (Bay City Rollers) (65)
- 1953 - Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big) (63)
- 1953 - Ricky Wilson (B-52's) (d. 1985)
- 1955 - Bruce Willis (61)
- 1959 - Terry Hall (Specials, Fun Boy Three) (57)
- 1969 - Gary Jules (55)
- 1971 - Jack Bessant (Reef) (45)
- 1973 - Bun B (born Bernard Freeman) (43)
- 1975 - Brann Dailor (Mastodon) (41)
- 1976 - Zach Lind (Jimmy Eat World) (40)
- 1976 - Paul Kossof (Free) - Drug related heart failure (25)
- 1982 - Randy Rhoads (Quiet Riot, Ozzy Osbourne) - Plane crash (25)
- 1990 - Andrew Wood (Malfunkshun, Mother Loves Bone) - Heroin overdose (24)
- 1993 - Jeff Ward (Nine Inch Nails, Ministry) (30)
- 2007 - Luther Ingram - Heart attack (69)
- 1957 - Elvis Presley bought Graceland.
- 1960 - Tootsie's Orchid Lounge opened in Nashville, TN.
- 1964 - The Beatles received the award for Show Business Personality of the Year from British Prime Minister Harold Wilson.
- 1968 - Donovan went to India to study transcendental meditation.
- 1974 - Jefferson Airplane renamed themselves Jefferson Starship.
- 1978 - Billy Joel made his British live debut in London.
- 1985 - Spin Magazine began publication.
- 1988 - Michael Jackson started construction on his Neverland ranch and amusement park.
- 1992 - Jet Harris of the Shadows lost his drivers license for three years for drunk driving.
- 1999 - George Jones is released from the hospital 13 days after being in a near-fatal car accident.
- 2001 - Geri Hallwell of the Spice Girls had her home broken into.
- 2002 - Julian Casablanca of the Strokes hit an RCA employee who was trying to force the group to do a TV show at a time when the group was exhausted from touring.
- 2007 - Crystal Gayle's tour bus was stolen by a fugitive and used to evade arrest.
- 2007 - Lonestar's Richie McDonald announced he would leave the group at the end of the year to go solo.
- 1918 - Louis Armstrong and Daisy Parker
- 1968 - Tom T. Hall and Dixie Dean
- 1970 - David Bowie and Angie Barnett
- 1962 - Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan (debut album)
- 1975 - Dressed to Kill - Kiss
- 2002 - Rude Awakening - Megadeth
- 2013 - Same Trailer Different Park - Kacey Musgraves
- 1953 - Academy Awards - Tex Ritter
- 2002 - Anderson Cooper (CNN) - Ozzy Osbourne and family
- 2010 - CMT Crossroads (CMT) - Jimmy Buffett and the Zac Brown Band