The Red Hot Chili Peppers were just one of a number of new and veteran artists that played parties around San Francisco in the nights leading up to the Super Bowl.
Their show on Saturday night at Pier 70 in San Francisco was sponsored by Direct TV and AXS TV and not only featured a salute to David Bowie with a performance of Starman but also the Dave Navarro era classic Aeroplane, a song that they hadn't performed in almost twenty years, since July 26, 1997. Here's fan shot footage of the performance.
The rest of the show was pretty standard for the RCHP with three songs each from Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication and a leap back to their first album for Police Helicopter.
The set list:
- Can't Stop (from By the Way, 2002)
- The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie (from I'm With You, 2011)
- Nobody Weird Like Me (from Mother's Milk, 1989)
- Starman (David Bowie cover)
- Otherside (from Californication, 1999)
- Police Helicopter (from Red Hot Chili Peppers, 1984)
- Aeroplane (from One Hot Minute, 1995)
- Blood Sugar Sex Magik (from Blood Sugar Sex Magik, 1991)
- Around the World (from Californication, 1999)
- Me & My Friends (from The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, 1987)
- Snow ((Hey Oh)) (from Stadium Arcadium, 2006)
- Californication (from Californication, 1999)
- By the Way (from By the Way, 2002)
- Under the Bridge (from Blood Sugar Sex Magik, 1991)
- Give It Away (from Blood Sugar Sex Magik, 1991)