Dream Theater has debuted a 11 with their new album The Astonishing.
While that is a respectable start for the band, it is the first album since 2007 that didn't start in the Billboard 200 top ten. 2009's Black Clouds and Silver Linings opened at 6, 2011's A Dramatic Turn of Events at 8 and 2013's Dream Theater at 7.
The album debuted in the same spot in the U.K. late last week.
Like Dream Theater, the Tedeschi Trucks Band has a good number 15 debut for their new set Let Me Get By but it is still the lowest of their three studio albums. 2011's Revelator opened at 12 and 2013's Made Up Mind at 11.
At 31 is the latest Grateful Dead archive release, Dave's Picks Volume 17: Selland Arena, Fresno, CA 1974. The majority of releases from this series are available through the Dead's site and not at normal retailers and tend to chart high the first week and, because they are limited edition, fall completely off the charts in the second.
Next up is Dave's Picks Volume 18: Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco, CA 1976, out on May 1.
Making a big jump back on the charts is the original soundtrack album for Grease at number 61. Amazingly, sales for the album are just a few thousand short of the brand new soundtrack from the live television event which debuts at 37.
Down at 142 is Me Esta Gustando by the veteran Latin band Banda Los Recoditos. The group released their first album in 1990 with Me Esta Gustando being their third to make the Billboard 200 after Ando Bien Pedo (2010 / #87) and Sueno XXX (2014 / #167).
Guy Penrod, the former lead singer of the Gaither Family Band, opens at 167 with Live: Hymns & Worship. This is his fifth solo album to hit the Billboard 200.
Another gospel superstar, Michael W. Smith, premiers at 172 with Hymns II: Shine on Us while Yanni starts at 173 with Sensuous Chill. Finally, at 194, is the debut of the collection 20 #1's: '80 Pop.
The top five albums of the week by veteran artists:
- The Astonishing - Dream Theater
- Let Me Get By - Tedeschi Trucks Band
- Blackstar - David Bowie
- Dystopia - Megadeth
- Dave's Picks Volume 18: Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco, CA 1976 - Grateful Dead
- ANTI - Rihanna
- Islah - Kevin Gates
- 25 - Adele
- This is Acting - Sia
- Purpose - Justin Bieber
- Pillowtalk - Zayn
- Love Yourself - Justin Bieber
- Sorry - Justin Bieber
- Stressed Out - twenty one pilots
- Hello - Adele
- Independent Albums - Dave's Picks Volume 18: Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco, CA 1976 - Grateful Dead
- Tastemaker Albums - Blackstar - David Bowie
- Rock Albums - The Astonishing - Dream Theater
- Hard Rock Albums - The Astonishing - Dream Theater
- Alternative Albums - Blackstar - David Bowie
- Blues Albums - Let Me Get By - Tedeschi Trucks Band
- Jazz Albums - Ultimate Sinatra - Frank Sinatra
- New Age Albums - Sensuous Chill - Yanni
- Latin Albums - Me Esta Gustando - Banda Los Recoditos
- Regional Mexican Albums - Me Esta Gustando - Banda Los Recoditos
- Latin Pop Albums - Los Duo 2 - Juan Gabriel
- Tropical Albums - 3.0 - Marc Anthony
- Billboard/Twitter Emerging Artists - Where the Light Gets In - Primal Scream
- Dance Club Songs - Stolen Car - Mylene Farmer & Sting
- Smooth Jazz Songs - Sliverado - Fourplay
- Latin Streaming Songs - El Perdon - Nicky Jam & Enrique Iglesias
- Hot Gospel Songs - Wanna Be Happy? - Kirk Franklin